• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

generations family tree file

I have a generations family tree 8 file sent to me by a cousin in a .cht file is there any software out ther that will open it as I have searched everywear to no avail
That usually means it is an incorrect file association and the file is damaged...but genealogy software files are a law to themselves. Your safest bet..find out what program your cousin used..and get it...or ask them to export them again but as rtf then zip files them to you which you can then open without using family tree software.

Last edited:

teamwilly

Thanks for your help I will ask him to send it again the software he is using is sierra generations family tree 8 which was sold to Ancestry and I cannot find the software anyware as i use family tree 2010 from Ancestry

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Hi,
The file format is used by an old program called Sierra Generations Family Tree chart file
Read link :- http://www.twrcomputing.co.uk/generations.htm?gclid=CKCuv7f7hJICFQ2HlAodu3nb3Q
even the link is old so I dont hold out much hope for a modern converter.
You could ask your relly if they could export to a gedcom file.
Just had a look on the web and the file is a graphical file so not really a gedcom type.
Peter