• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Generations Of Potters

Kerrymac

Hi all,:)
Families!!, don't you just love 'em.My family amongst other things where generations of potters, and a rum lot they where to!.But absolutely brilliant for putting meat on the bone, as all you long serving researchers keep telling me.They are a complete mixture of Welsh, Irish, Scots and English assortment.My Great Great Grandfather, was a Methodist Preacher, a Master Potter and a Bare knuckle Prizefighter, what a combination!!.He used to Preach outdoor sermons and the pub across the way, sent him pints of Guinness out to keep his throat from drying.Absolute brilliant businessman when sober, a holy terror when drunk.Fortunately, he had loads of friends who used to carry him back safe and sound.Amongst my other relatives, are Boatmen/Mariners, Weavers,Miners,Railworkers,Brass Cannonmaker and last but not least an avid Art Collector, who wrote for the'Times' and was a Consul for a South American Country.They are all individuals and I love them all, even though they are all long gone now.But the more I find out about them, the more they come alive.God bless them one and all:kissu:.If you can find details like these about your relatives. it becomes a pure joy to find out more about them.I know I am extremely lucky in this department, but to everybody out there, who has hit a brick wall, you just never know what the next question will bring;) keep chipping away at those walls:biggrin: all the best kerrymac.Which is the ancestor who has given you most joy in finding out their details?

Last edited:

Littlemo

Hi Everyone,
They do sound a rum lot your Rel"ies Kerrymac, but 1 thing puzzles me, I thought Methodists were supposed to be tee-total!
It figures about him being a bare knuckle fighter though, if anyone objected to his sermon, he"d soon be able to sort "em out.
Definately an interesting Lot though,

Happy Hunting Everyone
Littlemo

Kerrymac

Hi LittleMo,
Yes! that's true, most of the generations that followed this particular relative where tee-total and as you say most Methodists are against alcohol altogether.However, amongst the potter's, many of them did drink beer,due to them firing the kilns and bringing them up to the right temperature, the intense heat gave them excessive thursts and the water quality was not as good then, so beer being reasonably cheap, quenched their thirsts.Yep! I know,:biggrin: very good excuse, but true all the same.Funnily enough, this particular potter had five sons as potters, not one of them touched a drop!.:) kerrymac.