• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Genes Reunited Gedcom File

familyman

hi its been awhile since i last posted on here.but can anyone help. i have tryed to export a gedcom file from genes reunited to my documents,which in practice works ok.however what i want it to do is export an entire tree drawing from my GR online tree to my documents but it wont do that.tryed to experiment last night with this but all i got was anything but a proper family tree. when exported it goes to a gedcom tree on my system,but then i try to convert this from there to an openoffice programme like microsoft exel but that failed.does anyone have any answers?:confused:

Hi

I am assuming that you want to analyse the data and not just have a picture. I don't know what translation programme you have tried, but I have used Gedxlate lite and it will take a Gedcom file and put it into excel. You can download it from the internet.

If all uou wanted was a picture then you could save it to a pdf file by using something like pdf creator which works as a print file. You could then grab the pdf as a picture snapshot and place it into whatever offiece package you wanted. I would not recommend this for anything of detail as the resolution gets pretty ropey.

Hope this is of some help

K

familyman

Hi

I am assuming that you want to analyse the data and not just have a picture. I don't know what translation programme you have tried, but I have used Gedxlate lite and it will take a Gedcom file and put it into excel. You can download it from the internet.

If all uou wanted was a picture then you could save it to a pdf file by using something like pdf creator which works as a print file. You could then grab the pdf as a picture snapshot and place it into whatever offiece package you wanted. I would not recommend this for anything of detail as the resolution gets pretty ropey.

K
i think the 1st idea was right.what my gedcom does is turn it into a tree file,not like the tree you would see on the GR site.but when i tryed to convert my gedcom to excel i got a tree file in what looked like text format.if the programme you highlight does what i hope it wlll i'll give it a try.that is convert my gedcom into a family tree one normally logs into on the GR

familyman

Hi

K
hi having already download this file & tested it out,it some how doesn't want to work properly. when trying to convert gedcom to an excel readable format i get this reply ACTIVEX COMPONENT CAN'T CREATE OBGECT so somthings not right,anyanswers?

It sounds as though you do not have active x controls enabled in your office programmes. I suggest you hit F1 (Help) and see how you enable active x. I have looked at my version (2007) and it is done through the trust center.

I have just tried the programme again into both Excel and Access and it downloads the dat fine. It does not draw the chart though like in Genes reunited - so if that is what you wanted then it might not be what you are looking for.

Keith

familyman

It sounds as though you do not have active x controls enabled in your office programmes. I suggest you hit F1 (Help) and see how you enable active x. I have looked at my version (2007) and it is done through the trust center.

I have just tried the programme again into both Excel and Access and it downloads the dat fine. It does not draw the chart though like in Genes reunited - so if that is what you wanted then it might not be what you are looking for.

Keith
i think the last part of your answer was right i want to be able to see the chart as i would see it on the GR site. so assuming that wont work for me?

dave6023

I did this using the print button on the tree view page.

When you press the print button a window pops up that allows you to select the whole tree as sections of A4 by default. That's a lot of pages if you have a large tree. My tree has 320 people and I printed mine to a PDF file but set the page size to A0 (23 x 33 ins approx) and that came out at 44 pages! A0 = 16 A4's so my 44 A0s would be equal to 704 A4s!!!!!!!!!!!!