• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

George Buckley b. About 1811 - Staffordshire

gibbo

Loyal Member
Maybe this has some thing to do with Maria's death, husband George not being around, ( maybe he was arrested and in Jail), and the children's disappearance. A total of 274 people were brought to trial in the special assizes that followed, of whom 146 were sent to prison.

Riots in the Potteries in 1842
https://libcom.org/history/riots-potteries-1842
Before the 1842 riots but found this. I don't have access to FMP so that's all the info I could get.

FMP
Institutions & organisations

Buckley George born 1817 — 1839 England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935 Great Britain

Buckley George born 1813 — 1840 England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935 Great Britain

Buckley George — — 1841 Middlesex, London, Old Bailey Court Records 1674-1913 Great Britain

Buckley George born 1816 — 1841 England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935

Last edited:
Old Bailey Court Records
GEORGE BUCKLEY, EDWARD WESTALL.
Royal Offences: coining offences.
5th April 1841
Reference Number t18410405-1108Verdict Guilty > pleaded guilty; Not Guilty > unknownSentence Imprisonment
1108. GEORGE BUCKLEY and EDWARD WESTALL were indicted for a misdemeanor; to which Westall pleaded GUILT . Aged 27.— Confined Six Months.
BUCKLEY— NOT GUILTY

Don't think it's our George he was in Wolstanton in 1841.

Thanks for uploading Maria's death cert which throws up more questions to sort out. She died at Wellington Place, Tunstall, would like to find out who was living there in 1841/51 and why she was there in '42. George Darlington was the informant I assume that he was her elder brother born c.1805, then where was George her husband at the time? The children were not with her brothers family in 1851.
Yes it is interesting isn’t it - there is also a Joseph Darlington living in Wellington Square in 1841 - another brother?

Maybe this has some thing to do with Maria's death, husband George not being around, ( maybe he was arrested and in Jail), and the children's disappearance. A total of 274 people were brought to trial in the special assizes that followed, of whom 146 were sent to prison.

Riots in the Potteries in 1842
https://libcom.org/history/riots-potteries-1842
Wow - I had never heard of this - though I did know times were hard with a number of potters (including some of my ancestors) emigrating around this time and one of my 3x GGG Grandfathers (also a potter) being transported for life for stealing shoes.
Thankyou

Before the 1842 riots but found this. I don't have access to FMP so that's all the info I could get.

FMP
Institutions & organisations

Buckley George born 1817 — 1839 England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935 Great Britain

Buckley George born 1813 — 1840 England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935 Great Britain

Buckley George — — 1841 Middlesex, London, Old Bailey Court Records 1674-1913 Great Britain

Buckley George born 1816 — 1841 England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935

Thank you - lots to look at here

Old Bailey Court Records
GEORGE BUCKLEY, EDWARD WESTALL.
Royal Offences: coining offences.
5th April 1841
Reference Number t18410405-1108Verdict Guilty > pleaded guilty; Not Guilty > unknownSentence Imprisonment
1108. GEORGE BUCKLEY and EDWARD WESTALL were indicted for a misdemeanor; to which Westall pleaded GUILT . Aged 27.— Confined Six Months.
BUCKLEY— NOT GUILTY

Don't think it's our George he was in Wolstanton in 1841.

It is seeming likely that George gets locked away some point after the 1841 census - Either that or he abandon his family.

Wow - I had never heard of this - though I did know times were hard with a number of potters (including some of my ancestors) emigrating around this time and one of my 3x GGG Grandfathers (also a potter) being transported for life for stealing shoes.
Thankyou
Some of those arrested in 1842 were transported but checked and could'nt see George.

Have just had another look for Ann Buckley in 1851 - and am reassessing someone I have formerly dismissed. On the attached census an Ann Buckley of the right age is working as a Servant for Joseph Darlington - the same Joseph Darlington who was living in Wellington Place (Where Maria Buckley died) in 1841.
Joseph has remarried and his stepson is William Booth - I’m pretty sure this is the William Booth who went on to marry Mary Buckley (Ann’s Sister).
Also there is a Frances Spilsbury living next door!
The only fly in the ointment is that Ann’s place of birth is given as Liverpool - which is why I dismissed this previously- what do you think?

Attachments

Have just had another look for Ann Buckley in 1851 - and am reassessing someone I have formerly dismissed. On the attached census an Ann Buckley of the right age is working as a Servant for Joseph Darlington - the same Joseph Darlington who was living in Wellington Place (Where Maria Buckley died) in 1841.
Joseph has remarried and his stepson is William Booth - I’m pretty sure this is the William Booth who went on to marry Mary Buckley (Ann’s Sister).
Also there is a Frances Spilsbury living next door!
The only fly in the ointment is that Ann’s place of birth is given as Liverpool - which is why I dismissed this previously- what do you think?

I would'nt worry to much about the Liverpool birth place, every thing else seems to fit, people often gave the wrong birth place on census's. On subsequent census's she gives the birth place as Tunstall and on the marriage transcript gives her fathers name as George Buckley whereas Mary does'nt give fathers name on the transcript that I can see.

Maybe but not sure Joseph Darlington is a brother he married Mary Booth 30 Nov 1845 Tunstall. father Thomas Darlington. The Booth name rings a bell.
Yes - Mary Buckley married a William Booth - I think this was Joseph’s stepsons - see census attached to recently reply - this is getting exciting now!
I would'nt worry to much about the Liverpool birth place, every thing else seems to fit, people often gave the wrong birth place on census's. On subsequent census's she gives the birth place as Tunstall and on the marriage transcript gives her fathers name as George Buckley whereas Mary does'nt give fathers name on the transcript that I can see.
Sorry should have attached this before - Mary Buckley’s Marriage cert - giving George as father

Attachments

Trying to see if the children were with their grand parents in 1851, does'nt look like they were with Maria's parents.
Maria Darlington born 06 May 1811. baptised 19 May 1811 Wolstanton. Parents Thomas Darlington b. 1763 Cheshire
Mary Spilsbury b. 1768 Wolstanton. Married 06 APR 1788 Wolstanton.
Could you tell me if you found a source giving Maria’s mothers maiden name as Spilsbury? Thanks Lee

gibbo

Loyal Member
Not sure if this is your George or not. Its all I could get on the article. Maybe if the marriage wasn't a happy one it could explain why he wasn't the informant on Marie's death cert. he might have deserted them after the 1841 census and before her death. OR it might not be him in the article.

Published: Saturday 24 April 1841

Newspaper: Staffordshire Advertiser

County: Staffordshire, England

William Parr and John Parr, father and son, George Buckley, John Wachin, potters from Tunstall, Emma Hinds, and Ann Birch, two girls not more than years of age. were brought Madden, the officer, ...

who stated that had found them making a great noise In a low brothel kept by the two girla, who had no ...parent*. The men. who are all advanced years, excepting Parr, Jus., received severe reprimand ...The two children were ordered to taken to the workhouse

Not sure if this is your George or not. Its all I could get on the article. Maybe if the marriage wasn't a happy one it could explain why he wasn't the informant on Marie's death cert. he might have deserted them after the 1841 census and before her death. OR it might not be him in the article.

Published: Saturday 24 April 1841

Newspaper: Staffordshire Advertiser

County: Staffordshire, England

William Parr and John Parr, father and son, George Buckley, John Wachin, potters from Tunstall, Emma Hinds, and Ann Birch, two girls not more than years of age. were brought Madden, the officer, ...

who stated that had found them making a great noise In a low brothel kept by the two girla, who had no ...parent*. The men. who are all advanced years, excepting Parr, Jus., received severe reprimand ...The two children were ordered to taken to the workhouse
Oh dear! I’m rapidly going off George!
Thanks Gibbo

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Births 10
DaveHam9 Deaths 8
DaveHam9 Deaths 5
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 22
DaveHam9 Marriages 5
DaveHam9 Births 9