• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

George Harbottle 1775- 1832

Looking for details of George's parents. George Harbottle was born 31st October 1775 in Hexham, Northumberland and died in Russia on 7th April 1832. He married Ann Bell of Hexham. I know his father was William and his mother Ann (?Temporley) Would like to know dates etc of William and Ann and also their parents. George had several siblings (or possibly half siblings) including Elizabeth,b.1751(this date may be incorrect- could be later in the 50s), Michael b.1761, William b.1763, Margery b. 1765 John b. 1782, Thomas b. 1783 Robert b.1787, Michael b.1789 and Phyllis b.1792. George's children were Ellen, Anne, Elizabeth (married Albert Croisat of Lausanne), John of London died at Lausanne, William (married Anne Hayton of Durham).
All help very much appreciated.
Elizabeth

leefer

Loyal Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbottle_Castle

Hi Elizabeth,as this link shows Harbottle is an ancient name,theres an old village called Harbottle ware the name originates.
There are still Harbottles in Hexham so maybe a letter to the local paper will get you results...it often does.
Bell was a very common name in Hexham and looking at the marriage census they were a very big clan.
Couldnt find any info on your George....good luck on any further searches..Lee

Thanks, Lee. We did visit Harbottle when we came to UK in 2000 and climbed to the top of the derelict castle.At that stage, although very interested, I hadn't seriously started family research. We looked in church graveyard that I knew was connected with the family in Hexham but the graves were so old that I either couldn't read the stone or there no longer was one. Writing to the local paper is a good idea that I would like to follow. Do you know a website where I can find out the name of the paper?
I really appreciate your help.
Regards,
Elizabeth(South Australia)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Deaths 5
DaveHam9 Deaths 1
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 18
DaveHam9 Deaths 4
DaveHam9 Deaths 10
DaveHam9 Deaths 7