• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

George Martindale ATKINS

gibbo

Loyal Member
NSW birth indexes

9154/1885 atkins william george annie paddington
12440/1887 atkins maud v george annie waterloo
36988/1891 atkins annie l george annie waterloo
27991/1895 atkins george m george annie waterloo
553/1906 atkins james r h george annie sydney
456/1910 atkins florence george annie sydney

horse

Loyal Member
Gibbo's find looks good...

George Martindale Atkins
Birth Date: 20 May 1880
Father: George Atkins
Mother: Annie Isabella Garland
Birth Place: Adelaide
Registration Place: Adelaide, South Australia
Page Number: 390
Volume Number: 240

horse

Loyal Member

George Martindale Atkins
Interesting, I'm getting Mentiplay links to this :rolleyes:

horse

Loyal Member
Isabella Mentiplay
Spouse: George M Atkins
Marriage Date: 1907
Marriage Place: New South Wales
Registration Place: Sydney, New South Wales
Registration Year: 1907
Registration number: 3584

gibbo

Loyal Member

George Martindale Atkins

Do we have 2 of the same name? :confused:
The one you posted above and the one in NSW in 1895 :confused:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Geoff.

Thanks gibbo.

The tree was right for once. :biggrin:

Yes, Isabella MENTIPLAY is the daughter of Thomas in the other topic.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have 3 different ATKINS familes in my tree. Well, they are separate at the moment. :rolleyes: One with a convict ancestor. Don't know about the other two yet.

Looking for the birth of George Martindale ATKINS around 1880. Perhaps somewhere in Australia.

Thanks,

Dave
Interested in your Garland family. My gg grandmother is Garland. She came to South Australia in the 1880s as an immigrant, when she was 19... the Romsdal was the ship and she is mentioned as a kitchenhand. I wondered why she went to Adelaide but noticed there were lots of Garland families there, thinking that some could be related to her. I know our Garland family history really well.... back to the 1700s (and further) with sources. She was from Cornwall, but moved around a few times. I know she has ties to Bodmin, rruoro, Liskeard and then by the 1880s she was living further north in Cornwall, around Linkinhorne.

I know she lived in NSW and Victoria too. Her first 'husband' she had children with was Wheatcroft in Victoria... then they moved to Western Australia in the 1890s. Wheatcroft died in WA and she married Caudwell by 1900 and had more children. Neither marriage was registered we believe, she took on the surname and lived as married couple but not legally married.

She said she was a governess in Australia after she arrived, which may be true... but we haven't found evidence of that. I know she had more family arrive in Australia... they were her half siblings... and likely there were cousins here before her.