• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

George Richard Holahan

Pholahan

From
United States
My great grandfather, George Richard Holahan, is said to have been born in Manchester anytime from 1857 to 1862. His parents were James Holahan and Ellen Howard, both born in Ireland. He is my brick wall as I am unable to find any record of his birth/baptism. The family was Roman Catholic. The names George and Richard seem to be more English that Irish and after many years of researching my Irish family, and never seeing the forenames Richard or George in any other records, I am wondering if it is possible that GRH was adopted and then brought to America by James and Ellen.

If that is the case, are there any British records that could hold any information that might confirm that assumption? Any help would be much appreciated.

I cannot find a baptism nor can I find the family in any Census. I can find the family in the US in 1880 which gives George as being born in England but not where in England. At the time of his birth there was no formal adoption process so no paperwork. I think your chances of finding his true parentage are very limited. Sorry.

Could be a mixture of wrongly transcribed records.

HORAHAN,
GEORGE mmn HOWE GRO Reference: 1859 M Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 08D Page 274

George HorahanEvent Type Birth RegistrationEvent Date 1859Event Place Manchester, Lancashire, EnglandRegistration District ManchesterPage 274Volume 8DAffiliate Line Number 35Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-MarRegistration Year 1859

Horahan instead of Holahan. Howe instead of Howard.

Perhaps they went back to Ireland after George was born maybe to get him baptised and to say goodbyes to family before they emigrated to USA. They were in the US 1870 census.
James emigrated in 1866 while Ellen (Nellie) and George emigrated with Ellen's brother in 1868.

Could be a mixture of wrongly transcribed records.

HORAHAN, GEORGE mmn HOWE GRO Reference: 1859 M Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 08D Page 274

George HorahanEvent Type Birth RegistrationEvent Date 1859Event Place Manchester, Lancashire, EnglandRegistration District ManchesterPage 274Volume 8DAffiliate Line Number 35Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-MarRegistration Year 1859

Horahan instead of Holahan. Howe instead of Howard.

Unfortunately, this is not my George. This George's parents were Mary Howe and John Horahan. The mystery remains!

Back