• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Getrude Bullivant 1901 Where is she.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I'm sure I found her before but can't find her now. She was born in 1882 in Bridlington but brought up in Leeds. I think she was a servant in 1881, possibly Headingley. Her fathers name was Richard Arthur and mother Martha Jane. They had moved to Hartlepool by that time with the younger children. Can someone find her for me?

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Duckweed
I have searched the 1901 census and found no one of that name that fits the bill. None matched the parents for younger ones,and none born in Bridlington. The only thing I forgot to do was use the variant option which I will do after some lunch.

Nainmaddie

Sunscreen

Hi Duckweed

Getrude appears in 1891 age 8 scholar born Bridlington with

Richard A age 37yr Architect -----?
Martha J age 30yr
Thos Hy age 5yr
Mabel age 4yr
Florence age 1yr

Dist 54 civil parish, Leeds, not sure of address could be 75 Caledonian St?

I can't find so far either in 1901 census - but she could have married?

Sunscreenredf)

duckweed

Loyal Member
I don't think she married till 1905, but I will recheck the BMD to see if there is a likely marriage. When I tried the 1901 census no Getrude Bullivants came up at all even though I know there is 4 of them in the country at the time 2 same age.

duckweed

Loyal Member
No she would have been on the young side to marry but checked anyway and checked deaths too. Her most likely marriage is in Leeds in 1903. The other Getrudes married later than that. It has to be her marrying in 1903 as all over Getrudes accounted for so she couldn't have emigrated either. I just wanted to fill the 1901 gap in before I send for marriage certificate as I'm sure there are other family trees with my Getrude in and a different Bullivant family as her relatives.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Duckweed,

Could be Gertrude in 1901 under Gertrude Bullboans looks like Bullivant on census image.

Class RG13
Piece 4246
Folio 25
Page 2

duckweed

Loyal Member
Yes that is her. Thanks I don't know how you found her. I tried just putting in Gertrude and she didn't come up either because of the mispelled place of birth.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Is it me or did the spelling get worse in 1901? Or is it just the transcribers? Getrude is down actually as Bullivans. The ennumerator missed the t. I think it must be the transcribers as I have her cousin in Sheffield down as Bulliwarit and the census clearly says Bullivant.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Is it me or did the spelling get worse in 1901? Or is it just the transcribers? Getrude is down actually as Bullivans. The ennumerator missed the t. I think it must be the transcribers as I have her cousin in Sheffield down as Bulliwarit and the census clearly says Bullivant.
Hi DW,
Tired eyes could be the only reason. My G.G.G. grandfather was transcribed as 'James Jass', and five lines up his son was correctly transcribed as John Ives. The writing was identical.
I only found 'James Jass(Ives)' by a total freak accident. This then enabled me to go back 4 generations. A 'cousin' of mine had been trying to find this link for nearly 25 years.
Good luck.

Steve.:)

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi there
To answer Steve that is why we use Soundex ( I have answered your question in the proper place, Steve. ) Even so to transcribe Jass to Ives is stupid. I studied Calligraphy for about a year and half to help with the old writing. Jefferiss would have been written with a long first S and would or could have been taken for a y. It would have been the same with J or I. We shall never know
nainmaddie