• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Gillies families

DeborahGilliesRea

From
England
Hi, my name is Debbie Gillies Rea. I have been researching the Gillies' and Shields' families for what seems forever! My middle name is Gillies - this name comes from the fact that an Elizabeth Gillies was a full cousin to Robert Burns... to this day, I am still not convinced I have found her as she should be my 5th great grandmother! My great grandfather, John Gillies Shields (aka J.G.), came down from Stewarton, Ayrshire to Leicestershire at the request of Lord Donington of Loudoun Castle, Galston to manage the Donington estate. J.G. looked after Donington Hall for more than 50 years - he ended up buying it in his 70s - how I don't know!

Welcome @DeborahGilliesRea :)

Thanks for sharing your ancestry story, very interesting!

Ultimately it would of been your Great Grandfather JG's decision to allow some of the roads on the estate to be used for motorsports - The birth of Donington Park Circuit. Fantastic!

Went to the Motor Shows there with my daughter and her Boyfriend (husband) he still has that car locked away .Daughter did all the electric wiring

Back