• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Glynn family of Moone, Co. Kildare

I have Irish ancestors on my father's side called Glynn. According to a monograph written by Sean Glynn, dated 28 May 2004, "The GLYNN families of Moone and Narraghmore [trace their history back to] James Glynn (1722-1795) who came to Ireland from Cornwall in the mid-18th century...".

've not been able to find any evidence of this James Glynn, either in Moone (Co Kildare) nor in Bodmin (Cornwall). I've also not been able to find out anything about Sean Glynn, though I assume he is Irish. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could progress this search - I've tried all the usual search sites. Incidentally, on Ancestry, there are about ten people with this James Glynn on their family trees, but no sources - except other Ancestry trees: the good old circular argument.

As ever, all offers gratefully received.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Cardinham is only about 80 miles west of where I currently live and once lockdown is fully over, I intend to spend a weekend there to see if I can find any more. I also intend going to Moone to see if I can find anything about James Glynn, although that will be a stretch!

There will be lots of Glynns in the churchyard, because they were an important family in the area from around 800AD and had lots of branches. James's supposed grandfather, Dennis (possibly Dennys Glynn) has a large memorial in Cardinham churchyard which will be interesting to see, but I already have lots of information about him and his antecedents, and also about James's descendents. What I've been searching for is some documentary evidence linking the two of them.

I'll have a look to see if I can find anything about the James Glynn you found: quite a co-incidence that they have the same forename and birth year!

solidrock2

Loyal Member
I'm wondering just how accurate that monograph is. It states that James Glynn married Mary Hayes, I found a Glynn - Hayes marriage in 1801 but with that date it's to late if the dates given are correct.

JGM.jpg

There are some pedigree's on FamilySearch which you probably have seen but they all look to be cut and paste from Ancestry.
https://www.familysearch.org/search...ce=cornwall&q.givenName=james&q.surname=glynn

Last edited:
My apologies for the delay in replying. I got myself a new PC about three weeks ago and it took me forever to set the damn thing up. I've spent the past few days catching up on emails, and I've now got here!

Thanks for your comments again. Sadly, I agree with you that the Sean Glynn monograph may not be accurate, and that everyone on Ancestry, FamilySearch and so on have simply copied that information and assumed it is accurate. As I mentioned, I do intend to visit Cardinham churchard in the coming months to see if I can find any further information. I do have other sources apart from the monograph: the Glyn(n)s were quite an important family in Cornwall, and feature in Burke's Landed Gentry, A Historical Survey of Cornwall, and a publication called The Genealogist which has an article on The Pedigree of Glynn of Glynn. None of those sources have anything about James or his father.

Can you tell me where you found the 1801 marriage record of James Glyn and Mary Hayes? That seems too much of a coincidence to be ignored, and is worthy of further investigation!

Again, thank you for your help and my apologies for the delay in responding.

diml

I have Irish ancestors on my father's side called Glynn. According to a monograph written by Sean Glynn, dated 28 May 2004, "The GLYNN families of Moone and Narraghmore [trace their history back to] James Glynn (1722-1795) who came to Ireland from Cornwall in the mid-18th century...".

've not been able to find any evidence of this James Glynn, either in Moone (Co Kildare) nor in Bodmin (Cornwall). I've also not been able to find out anything about Sean Glynn, though I assume he is Irish. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could progress this search - I've tried all the usual search sites. Incidentally, on Ancestry, there are about ten people with this James Glynn on their family trees, but no sources - except other Ancestry trees: the good old circular argument.

As ever, all offers gratefully received.
Dr. Sean Glynn was an academic in London, Senior Research Fellow in the department of Politics and Modern History, London Guildhall University around the time this monograph was written, pre internet research he would have used the old church records and material available to him as a historian - ie likely to be quite reliable !!. Not sure if he is still alive, he would be in his eighties now.