• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Good old fashioned respect

gibbo

Loyal Member
Whilst at a funeral a while back, the hearse had trouble coming out of the church driveway as the traffic on the road would not stop to let them carry on their way. A guest from the funeral went out onto the road and stopped the traffic and the hearse and guests then continued onto the cemetery. The priest was then telling some of us that he had the same problem a few weeks before as well and he himself went out onto the road to stop the traffic and the cops turned up and gave him a good telling off for directing traffic.
This particular church is in a area where it is safe to stop or pull over so its not like they would have been causing havoc by doing so.

What happened to the days when a person pulled over or stopped as a mark of respect. Are they in such a hurry they cant spare a few minutes.

joaning

Loyal Member
I'm afraid gibbo, that manners and old fashioned respect has sadly been forgotten by a lot of people. Our sons and grandsons were taught to remove their cap /hat when they come inside, and definitely no wearing it at the table, even at a bbq outside. But we go out to dinner and see many men who seem old enough to have been taught the old fashioned way, wearing hats while they eat. Funerals are the same, men used to remove their hat when a funeral procession went past,and you gave way to them on the road, but it's all been forgotten. Shame, but that's progress :confused:???

dochines

Valued Member
"but that's progress"

I do not think I would call that progress but part of the slippery slope with the loss of common courtesy and respect leading to so much of the troubles of today in so many places

My hat will be off for both of you, the seat given up and the door opened, please do not refuse in the interests of equality!!!

dochines

joaning

Loyal Member
"but that's progress"

I do not think I would call that progress but part of the slippery slope with the loss of common courtesy and respect leading to so much of the troubles of today in so many places

My hat will be off for both of you, the seat given up and the door opened, please do not refuse in the interests of equality!!!

dochines
I was being "tongue in cheek" when I said that's progress, I guess I should have said "that's regress." Thanks dochines.