• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Good website host for a one name study

Lehane

I'm beginning to conduct a one name study and want to put together a website to contain all of my research. I use Blogger and planned on writing a blog there to track the research, but I need more flexibility to produce the kind of website I want.

I have some basic website building knowledge so I just need a good reliable host, preferably with a free domain or subdomain before I commit to the study.

pramclub

Website
easter.byethost22.com
I've used www.byethost.com for several years, for both free and paid hosting. I've run Joomla, Wordpress, and plain html/css sites with no problems (not all at once on free hosting, though!)

Recently I dropped my Joomla-based site and switched to a plain HTML one as I wanted to include my tree on the site, and the Joomla genealogy plug-in was too hungry for free hosting.

Customer services very helpful if you have problems, and recently the user forum has restarted, although in a cut-down form.

No ads on site, and free hosting can have domain names if desired.

JeffAlvey

Having been a 'one-namer' myself, I had a web site when I was in the U.K. It wasn't free though.

For free sites try a Google search for 'free web hosting'. You will get a lot of results, but I am hoping that another member(s) may have specific knowledge of some good ones.

When I did mine, about 20-30 years ago, it was well received.
I had a general introduction page, then pages for specific data.
Births- marriages-deaths - heraldry - convicts - other stuff.

Hope this might help,
Jeff