• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

gordon/gorden

kegsy

Hi can any one shed some light on my family roots, i am trying to see if my famil are from ireland and if so where? i have my ggg grandfather john gordon 1831 dublin it says on his marriage cert to margaret behaw/behan 1836 also dublin they moved on to ludlow/ bilston area 1861 and on johns marriage cert his fathers name was thomas gorden, and her fathers name stephen and mothers name ann but i carnt get any thing from that to prove they was in ireland i found on the census 1841 for thomas gorden he was in scotland but not sure if its the right connection any help would be great
thank you

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Kegsy,

Does the marriage certificate list Johns fathers occupation ,as there is a
Thomas Gordon in the Dublin City Directory 1850:-

2 City Quay, Thomas Gordon, Spirit Retailer, also there is a church baptism for a John Gordon, year 1831, county Co. Dublin. The only downer with this that to view the baptism there is a 5 euro fee which I think is pricey especially if he turns out not to be yours.

https://brsgenealogy.com/ifhf/login.php

kegsy

Hi the copys quite blury but i think it says carpenters journey man, but the name is down as gorden a mistake or just how they have writen it and john and margaret was married in a catholic chapple in wolverhampton 1857, thank you for your help i have been trying for a year thanks again