• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Grandads army records

gibbo

Loyal Member
I didnt know what to get my mother for her birthday this year. What do you get a person who has everything. Then i had a bright idea:eek:

Mum has been for ages talking about getting her father's [my grandads] aussie ww2 army records but she didnt know how to go about it so she did nothing.
As the records were closed i had to put a request in to have them opened. They have now been assessed and are opened but they have to go to another department to be scanned so as soon as that happens i will be able to get them.

Probably not everyones idea of a birthday present but it was something she wanted so i figured why not:)

woodlander

Valued Member
I reckon that's a brill pressie Gibbo, good on ya gal :biggrin:
Beats smelly stuff, petals and chocs any day ;)
Let us know her reaction - bet you'll gain a few brownie points there :)

gibbo

Loyal Member
I reckon that's a brill pressie Gibbo, good on ya gal :biggrin:
Beats smelly stuff, petals and chocs any day ;)
Let us know her reaction - bet you'll gain a few brownie points there :)
Thanks Woody. Its been 6 weeks since i put the request in so hopefully it wont be much longer. I'll be seeing mum in about 8 weeks time so i might give it to her in person rather than send it. Means it will be rather late for her b'day pressy but i dont think she will mind.

woodlander

Valued Member
You mean we have a couple of months to wait before we hear her reaction??? :eek:
Enjoy the get-together and don't forget to post how it goes :biggrin:

gibbo

Loyal Member
You mean we have a couple of months to wait before we hear her reaction??? :eek:
Enjoy the get-together and don't forget to post how it goes :biggrin:
The get- together is my nieces wedding. Went to the other nieces wedding about 12 months ago and they near wrecked me, dont know how i will go at this one:2fun::2fun:

I will post on here tho what mum thinks when she finally gets the pressy:biggrin:

joaning

Loyal Member
Hi Gibbo, I did the same thing for my sister some years ago, I got my brothers RAAF records opened.
I downloaded the 16 pages and printed it off. She was rapt.

I'm sure your mum will love it.
Joan:)

gibbo

Loyal Member
Finally got grandads army records. He didnt leave the country which we knew but there is some things i dont follow on it so going to spend some time on that today to work it out.

He had his appendix out in 1936:biggrin:

Had to smile at this one tho

Can you -
Drive a motor car - Yes
Drive a motor lorry - Yes
Ride a motor cycle - Yes
Make running repairs - Yes
Cook - No :2fun::2fun:
Use a typewriter --

woodlander

Valued Member
Waiting with bated breath to hear more Gibbo - but should you really have posted the "can't cook" bit :biggrin: - you know who needs no encouragement to have a dig :rolleyes: :2fun:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Waiting with bated breath to hear more Gibbo - but should you really have posted the "can't cook" bit :biggrin: - you know who needs no encouragement to have a dig :rolleyes: :2fun:

Well there ya go Woody, you're psychic.:rolleyes::2fun:

Gibbo can't drive anything.......except driving me nuts. Can anyone drive a cooker.:confused::confused:

She sure can type though......you should see the amount of PM's that piled up in my inbox while I was away.:eek::eek::2fun::2fun:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Dont believe a word he says Woody. I didnt fill his PM's up at all:mad: He is just so full of it at times.
Woody i think you should come with me when i go to Ireland:biggrin:

And forgot to add he thinks i drive him nuts:rolleyes: He does my head in at times:2fun::2fun: And he can type a lot to:rolleyes:

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Don't believe a word Gibbo says Woody......and you're more than welcome to come to Ireland for a visit.;):)

But don't come with Gibbo.......she'll bend your ears all the way here.:rolleyes::2fun::2fun:

Or wear some earplugs.:2fun::2fun:....she talks the legs of a donkey.:rolleyes:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Told ya Woody......she can't shut up. And that's Gibbo's own words.:2fun::2fun:
Ok i talk a lot at least im honest about it:2fun::2fun: If you have something to say you got about half a hour to say it cause after that im over the shyness and you dont have a hope of getting a word in then:2fun::2fun::2fun:

So Steve you going to be honest now and admit you can talk a lot to?:confused: