• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Grandads Brother.

leefer

Loyal Member
Hi all,this is a very vague request regarding info i can give but i have recently found out that a brother of my Grandad died in WW1.

Now all i know is that his sirname would have been Ferris and that his name may have been Bill,as you know my census and looking for clues skills are zilch.

To be honest i know a lot of brave souls by the name of Ferris perished so it would probably have to be done on the knowledge that my dads name is Geoffrey Leslie Ferris born in Southampton and all his relatives and most probably the man who died was born in the Southampton area possibly Bitterne or Hedge End.

Not expecting a lot on this because of lack of info but thought i would try anyway.

Regards to you all................Lee.

leefer

Loyal Member
Hi Braveheart,of course you are right and 248 ferris's killed is insane,just that one name in four years......shocking.

Anyway i managed to delve a little today and found out his name was Jack Ferris.
He was the younger brother of my grandad who's name was Wallace Ferris who survived the war(though gas affected the quality of the rest of his life)

The story is that Jack died in the Somme but of course that may not be the case.

And as i said they would have enlisted almost certainly in the Bitterne/Southampton district.

Thanks.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Lee,

Maybe your man, first name John as the name Jack is also used for John.

John Ferris
Death 19 Sept 1918
Death location Egypt
POB Harptree, Glos
Residence Bitterne Hants
Enlistment location Southampton
1/4th (T.F.) Battalion
Regiment Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire Regiment)
Rank Private
Killed in action
Theatre of war: Egyptian theatre
Formerly 1767 Hampshire Regiment

leefer

Loyal Member
I think the man you posted is my man Julie....thanksand he is buried in Ramleh(Egypt)

Formerly Hants regiment clinches it for me though i am astounded it says age unknown because he was a much loved brother and son,this is the only bit that puzzled me.
Sept 1918 and so,so close to making it:'(

I have been told it destroyed my grandad that he survived and his younger brother perished and being so close to the end.

Any other info would be welcome.

Braveheart

Last edited: