• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Graves of decorated WW1 Diggers needs help

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Hi All,
Posting this from another site - fb and think it is deplorable that this is allowed to happen to our Diggers and we need to get something done about it as well as check that it is not happening in other States.
I know I would be upset to find a relative of my family having this done to them a few years down the track when I have just discovered they were part of my family.... if anyone knows how to stir up Gov to get this stopped please go ahead....
I have contacted RSL National, CWGC, and NAA (who replied in standard email saying action on my query is not expected before 18th May)...and sent messages to a couple of family Trees on Ancestry to see if there are any family that can help Sgt Smith.

Linda Gay Emerson posted this to facebook on 15 April

Ok friends & family I don't ask you to share my posts very often, infact I don't think I've ever done it before but I feel really strongly about this & I'm sure most people are not aware of this practice. As I only have a small number of FB friends I'm hoping each of you can share this with your friends & strongly encourage them to share as well.

This grave is located in Centennial Park Cemetery in Adelaide & it is the final resting place of a decorated WWI digger.

Sgt Sydney Alexander James Smith from Minyip Victoria 32Bn 1st AIF

Military Medal and Bar (which means he was awarded the Military Medal twice). The Military Medal was awarded on 13 March 1919 & the Bar was awarded on 18 May 1919.

Sgt Smith died on 22 November 1960 age 74

The blue sticker you see on the top right corner of the headstone was apparently placed there by the people who run the cemetery. It reads "This position is now due for renewal. Please contact administration office."

I've been told that if no one comes forward to extend the tenure of this grave (hand over money) the cemetery will remove the headstone EXHUME the earthly remains of Sgt Smith, dig the hole deeper, re bury Sgt Smith in the grave but deeper & then re sell the plot of land with no mention of Sgt Smith's being there & his headstone will NOT be replaced effectively wiping his memory from existance.

How can this practice be allowed to happen to our diggers. It makes a complete mockery of the commemorations to remember the sacrifices of our diggers in the 100th centenary of WWI.

Smith Sydney Alexander James : SERN 2112 : POB Melbourne VIC : POE Keswick SA : NOK M Kerr Grace

an article on him in Trove News Adelaide 15 Feb 1940 - Is only ANZAC in 2nd AIF
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...ey smith&searchLimits=l-state=South+Australia

did find this so he's not alone..
http://www.news.com.au/national/anz...e/news-story/bdb67afe9180bd8abf6600ddf86be95a

Action is needed now....
regards
Val

Last edited: