• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Greetings from Colorado

Hello all - I’m new here, & never done any genealogical research before, so please forgive me for my lack of pertinent knowledge. A recent discovery has piqued my interest. I’ll be sending off for primary sources from various places as soon as possible. So, for anyone this story might interest,here's what I know. Thanks - fuddy.

Last edited:
I found a few pages of my g-father’s (Thomas Hugh Jones) journal. He was conductor of an orchestra for the Cunard Line during the teens & 20’s, S.ampton/Cherbourg/New York route (Aquitania, Berengaria, Mauretania). In the journal he writes of a visit w/ his Aunt Helen on her birthday (May 13) at her manor house in Liverpool (she picked him up in her Rolls Royce at train station), where he was shown a large oil portrait of his father, age 14, & conversed about his inheritance. He says “Sir Alfred being a Baronet, I will claim title at the Court of Heralds“.
He writes, “Sir Alfred left an estate of L5,000,000, not counting Briarcliff. Mr MacKenzie, (her secretary now) says there is some property for me in Jamaica, and we are going over soon. Will as follows:

L5,000 cash
L12,000 in stocks & shares - Elder Dempster
C.P.S Ship.
C.P.RR
B.W. Africa Steam Co
Imperial Direct RM. SS
L10,000 cash every five years (total L40,000)
L20,000 at age 60
Stocks & Bonds held for children & cash as they come of age
Masonic emblems & many other things, at Helen’s death"

Thomas, b.1875, give or take 10 years(best I can do) Dewsbury, Yorks.
Annie (Joynt), his wife, b.1875, give or take a year, Manchester, Lanc.
Obviously there’s some connection w/ Sir Alfred Lewis Jones, Liverpool shipping magnate at the turn of the century. Alfred had 8 siblings, four brothers; Charles b.1837
Arthur b.1842
Edward b.1844
William b.1850 One of these was probably Thomas's father.
I can remember my mother telling me that Tom was a 'Doctor of Music' (?), and 'had many letters after his name' (?).
She also said he'd somehow 'lost out' on a huge inheritance. Naturally, I’d like to learn more about the whole mess. Thanks for listening, & much appreciation for any snippets of knowledge anyone might contribute about this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
My sister tells me that Thomas & Annie lived for a long time in London, where Tom taught violin in some capacity. He was a gifted violinist, she says.
She remembers a story about Tom amusing himself as a boy by playing with the rats in the basement of a big hotel in London that his father owned - the 'Gledhill Hotel' is best she can remember, something like that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Introduce Yourself 3
J Introduce Yourself 2
D Scottish Genealogy Roots 9
S Introduce Yourself 3
S Introduce Yourself 3
J Introduce Yourself 5