• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Gregory/Calderbank/Hodkinson

Hi

I am hoping someone may be able to help me solve a conundrum surrounding my family tree. I have Peter Gregory b @1832 in Hindley, his mother was Alice Gregory who I am unsure if she was married at the time of Peter's birth. On 1841/51 census, Alice and Peter are living with Peter's grandparents Richard and Ann Gregory and the census states Alice is Daughter, Peter, grandson, so we assumed Peter was illegitimate. Did find a birth record for Peter which shows his parents as Alice and Richard Gregory? Peter married Mary Parkinson 26/11/1855 and there is no father named on his marriage cert. His wife Mary died in 1857 and he remarried Martha Pilling (this marriage shows Peter as a widower) later in 1857, on this marriage cert it shows his father as Robert Hodkinson??? I have Peter's mother Alice Gregory's marriage cert to George Calderbank, on this cert it shows Alice as a spinster? I am so confused as to whether or not Alice married into the Gregory family and had Peter or if she was unmarried at the time of his birth, and who the heck is Robert Hodkinson? Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Take care you all