• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Greville of Mullingar,Westmeath and Rosscommon areas.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ascroft

Griffiths Valuation Of Ireland has Fulke S Greville listed at Roscommon

Grenville Fulke S. Moyglass Kilmore Roscommon
Greville Fulke S. Ardgallagher Kilmore Roscommon
Greville Fulke S. Cloonteem Kilmore Roscommon
Greville Fulke S. Corralara Kilmore Roscommon
Greville Fulke S. Corry Kilmore Roscommon
Greville Fulke S. Cuiltyshinnoge Kilmore Roscommon
Greville Fulke S. Islands in River Shannon Kilmore Roscommon

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Is this Fulke S Greville in the 1881 census? Have you already got this info? If not then here are the details.

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Fulke S. GREVILLE Head M Male 60 (Brit Sub), France Irish Peer Baron
Rosa E.M. GREVILLE Wife M Female 66 Ireland Irish Peeress
Christopher TAYLOR Serv U Male 29 Ireland Footman
George WOOD Serv U Male 21 Kensington, Middlesex, England Footman
Eliza BARNES Serv U Female 54 Christchurch, Hampshire, England Housekeeper
Elizabeth KNILL Serv U Female 26 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Housemaid
Grace MARSHALL Serv U Female 19 Leighton Buzzard, Buckingham, England Kitchenmaid
Emma KAUSEN Serv U Female 28 Germany Ladys Maid
Simon CARD...ERT Serv U Male 41 France Valet
Francis LE PAGE Serv U Male 21 France Cook

Dwelling 39 Lowndes Sq
Census Place London, Middlesex, England

Thanks Ben.
It seems as though Fulke Southwell Greville owned quite a lot of land around the Kilmore,Rosscommon area.
Is this the Kilmore in the Athleague area.

The Greville brothers where
1) Algernon b1815
2) Fulke Greville,1st Baron Greville of Clonyne b1821,m daughter of Nugent Marquis of Westmeath,
3) Maj Southwell Greville b1822,Lord Lieutenant of Westmeath to 1910.his son was Brooke Southwell Greville b1855 Kings Messenger.

Which Fulke Greville had the land.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ascroft

It looks like Fulke S Greville born in 1821 had the land in the Griffiths Valuation which was taken between 1848 and 1864.

Kilmore in Roscommon is not too far from Carrick On Shannon. I cannot see any Athleague places names in the surrounding area on Google Maps.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ascroft

It looks like Fulke S Greville born in 1821 had the land in the Griffiths Valuation which was taken between 1848 and 1864.

Kilmore in Roscommon is not too far from Carrick On Shannon. I cannot see any Athleague places names in the surrounding area on Google Maps.

Ben
Hi Ascroft,
I live about 12 miles from Kilmore, I could nip over to the cemetery there and see what rellies you may have there.
I could take a few pics of any headstones there if you wish.
Athleague is about 8 miles SE of Roscommon Town, could nip over there too.

Steve.:)

Last edited:
Hi
It seems there are two Kilmores,Rosscommon,one near Carrick,which I do not know and the other Kilmore is near Athleague.
My wifes family of Gallagher live in Kilmore,Athleague so I believe there are only a few Farms and small properties there.
The cemetry is past Hamrocks pub of Athleague and this wont hold any Grevilles,I would imagine they would be in the Carrick or Mullingar,Westmeath area.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi
It seems there are two Kilmores,Rosscommon,one near Carrick,which I do not know and the other Kilmore is near Athleague.
My wifes family of Gallagher live in Kilmore,Athleague so I believe there are only a few Farms and small properties there.
The cemetry is past Hamrocks pub of Athleague and this wont hold any Grevilles,I would imagine they would be in the Carrick or Mullingar,Westmeath area.
Hi Ascroft,
Found Kilmore townland, SE of Athleague on the Athlone road. It is a bit of a problem with towns and townlands of the same name.

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi Ascroft

If your library has the Gale Collection Newspapers you will have access to the 19th Century British Library newspapers. You'll find lots of articles on this family.

One article in 1867 is about Colonel Faulke Southwell Greville-Nugent MP applied for a warrant against his son Robert Southwell Greville-Nugent age 20 for sending a letter threatening to shoot him. Article fairly long but relates to his father not giving him any money.
Robert's father sent him to his grandfather Marquis of Westmeath because of his unruly behaviour at age 19.

cheers
crankypants

Hi Ascroft,
Found Kilmore townland, SE of Athleague on the Athlone road. It is a bit of a problem with towns and townlands of the same name.

Thanks Steve
There must be a few of the Grevilles buried somewhere.
Lord Greville who was Marquise of Westmeath is buried in England,and there are loads of secondry Irish Greville families living around the Mullingar area to this day.
The Titled Grevilles married into the Nugent family,this is where they got the Westmeath Title from.
Other Greville family are living down at Co Cork,one of them is a famous Irish horse trainer from Aghinar House,Co Cork by the name of Fergus Sutherland or One Leg Fergie as he is known.
Another Greville family distant cousin is the owner of a garage and coach company at Enfield,Westmeath ,his name is Shaun Greville.

Hi Ascroft

If your library has the Gale Collection Newspapers you will have access to the 19th Century British Library newspapers. You'll find lots of articles on this family.

One article in 1867 is about Colonel Faulke Southwell Greville-Nugent MP applied for a warrant against his son Robert Southwell Greville-Nugent age 20 for sending a letter threatening to shoot him. Article fairly long but relates to his father not giving him any money.
Robert's father sent him to his grandfather Marquis of Westmeath because of his unruly behaviour at age 19.

cheers
crankypants
Hi
I have read a small article concerning this.
It just goes to show you that even in the finest of Aristocratic families there is always a facet of the character that rears its head,its just their makeup.Without it they would not have got so far.
Robert went on to become a fine member of the British Goverment,serving the Country well in the Armed forces,I believe.
Most of the Grevilles served in the Army and became good soldiers,then going on to work in the War Office.One of the female lines married General Sir Adrian Carlton De Whit VC.
There are some of this original line of the Greville family living today in the London area,a champion motor racing driver called Christopher Fulke Greville is the G/Great Grandson of this Southwell Fulke Greville,his fathers Grandfather was Brooke Southwell Greville,Kings Messenger.

Another bit of history about this main Greville line,it was Algernon Greville who married Lord Arthur Somersets daughter Mary.So making them the Plantagenet line to this day,relatives include from William the Conqueror,King Henry 11 of England,Richard 1st (Richard the Lionheart) all the way to Richard 111.
http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/plantagenet

So I dont imagine the Grevilles could be too mild in nature to survive and prosper,ruthless or what.

Regards.

Re: Fulke Greville of Mullingar,Westmeath and Rosscommon areas.

Hello,
I have read the articles about this incident,there are not many families that dont have trouble.
Most Aristocratic families such as the famous Fulke Greville family are like race horses,fabulous winners but can be temperamental.
During the dark years of the potato blight the Fulke Grevilles made sure the local population where cared for and to this day the Weastmeath and Rosscommon people still retain great respect and support to their memory.
The people of Mullingar even made sure that the statue of Greville remained fixed in the town instead of being shipped to the USA.

Horse racing seems to be an affection with the Fulke Grevilles,Irelands top steeplechase horse trainer is Colonel Fergus Sutherland AKA "One Leg Fergie"of Irene Greville, and Irelands top horse auctioneers Goffs have a Director called Mark Nugent who is of the Greville-Nugent family.

A descendant of this famous Aristocratic family and cousin to the Earl of Warwick is a Christopher Fulke Greville who married a Mary Gallagher,whose family originates from Kilmore,Athleague,Rosscommon.Many Gallaghers live in that part of Eire and are well known throuout the area as fine upstanding people.

Last edited:
Hi H GREV
Is the username H Greville,part of the Irish Greville family branch.

I know of a few,one in particular is Shean Greville who owns a garage and Coach service at Enfield,Westmeath.

I have also met a Mark Nugent who is related to the Greville-Nugents,he is a Director for Goffs,the International horse auctioneers.

And I have met a Chris Fulke-Greville who competed in a Motor Race at Brands Hatch and Silverstone,he is a cousin to the Earl of Warwick and has strong connections to Ireland.

There is also a Fergus Sutherland of Cork who is a top Irish horse trainer,AKA "One Leg Fergie",his family are related to the Grevilles.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Scottish Genealogy Roots 4