• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Griffiths, William George b.1852

William George Griffiths, b.1852 was my great-grandfather. Having joined the 60th King's Royal Rifles -1st battalion he married Caroline White, b. 1856 or '57of Guildford, Surrey (her native place) in 1878. While William George was based at Winchester barracks Caroline died in childbirth in the barracks, on St. Valentine's Day 14th Feb 1880. The baby, (my grandfather) was saved, and christened Llewllyn Gabriel. The midwife's name was Ellen Brennan from somewhere in England and she was married c.1867 to Michael Brennan, a tailor (in the army?) from Cork, Ireland. Whether an informal (and temporary?) fostering arrangement became permanent, or whether Llewllyn was formally adopted I don't know. When the regiment was posted to Ireland in the 1880s Mr. and Mrs. Brennan (who had no children of their own - to my knowledge) ended up in Limerick. Young 'Louis' Brennan grew up and married in Limerick.Perhaps the young soldier remarried? Perhaps he was posted abroad, in India or South Africa? Perhaps he was killed in action on foreign soil. My name is Brennan by accident. I would love some help in tracing the family of William George Griffiths, and I presume he was from Wales.