• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

GRO certs? How long are they taking?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

On the 26th April I ordered 3 certs, one arrived on Saturday and the other on Monday but I am still awaiting one more which is the one I am really waiting for, typical :D

I know they arrive separately but is there normally a 4 or more day gap between the arrival of two certs?

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
You are the lucky one Ben. Mine take between 2 and 3 weeks.
Some certs arrive out of sequence.
Some ordered 2nd and they came 1st.

The last one I ordered on 20th April was despatched on the 24th and I recieved it May 3rd.
It always varies by a couple of days generaly.
But being in Southern Ireland could be a reason, even though it's not a million miles away. It still seems a bit on the slow side.

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

As I am quite a sceptical person, I never know if it is the right cert until it finally arrives.

It is the death cert of my 3xgreat grandfather aged 83. He was buried on 30 April 1902 and the death was registered in the Apr/May/June Quarter 1902 so I am 99% sure he died sometime in April 1902 but there is that 1% chance the death was registered late at the time and he may have died in say August 1901 or January 1902. I very much doubt it but when the cert arrives, I will put my mind at rest. He is on the 1901 census. I am sure he died shortly before his end of April 1902 burial but I just need verification.

Ben