• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

GRO current wait time

Karen Strother

Valued Member
Hi guys
Can you tell me approx how long certs are taking to get to you over there at the moment? I usually get them in 7-10 days but have been waiting 3 weeks now.......
Cheers

gibbo

Loyal Member
Mine was suposed to have been dispatched on the 8th april and i still havent got it. I would say hold ups in every direction has put them behind. Maybe extra orders before the price went up and then the planes been grounded the other week and the public holidays. Im hoping mine will turn up this week.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I dont have any more on order. That price rise has put me off a bit and I got many of the most important ones just before the rise. I would have thought the waiting time would have shortened a bit since the price increase was 1 month ago.

Karen Strother

Valued Member
We pay more than double over here! The cost of a birth cert is $44 - about 20 pounds I think.
I ordered one over there at GRO about 3 weeks ago and it used to cost me about $13 and has gone up to $16 so I am still miles in front and can order 2 and a half there for the price of 1 over here. I for one am not grumbling!

Cheers :)

marjon

Hi Karen, here in Adelaide we have been waiting 4 weeks for certs from UK. We could be waiting longer, now the price has gone up and the backlog needs to be sorted out, and of course the volcano did not help the mail either. So, patience ! :(

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

One I ordered on 29 March and due to be sent on 7 April arrived in Sydney yesterday. It wasn't the right one for my great grandfather anyway.

Regards,

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hello gibbo,

I hope you had more luck than I did.

Regards,

Dave
Hello there Dave,
Well after near knocking the postie off his motorbike to get it :2fun: :2fun: nah only joking :rolleyes: i did knock him off it :2fun: :2fun: nah only joking:rolleyes: After i got it out of the mail box i opened it and all it did was confirm what i already knew but at least it gave me a address and did confirm mother so not a total loss.
A real bummer with yours tho hey?

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello gibbo,

Yes. It very clearly gave a different maiden name, different location, different occupation and a variation in the surname repeated on the certificate to indicate no error in the transcribing the index that didn't match the known variations I have for that line in my tree. Hence, I'm 100% sure it's not the one and so it appears as though his birth was not registered or does not appear in the index. :(

I know his father's and grandfather's names but I can't find a birth or death for either of them either, so it really is a TRIPLE brick wall. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hello gibbo,

Yes. It very clearly gave a different maiden name, different location, different occupation and a variation in the surname repeated on the certificate to indicate no error in the transcribing the index that didn't match the known variations I have for that line in my tree. Hence, I'm 100% sure it's not the one and so it appears as though his birth was not registered or does not appear in the index. :(

I know his father's and grandfather's names but I can't find a birth or death for either of them either, so it really is a TRIPLE brick wall. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave
Sounds like my william gibson:rolleyes: I guess if it was to easy all the time it would take some fun out of it :2fun: :2fun: but then they dont have to make it to hard neither:rolleyes: They will all be found in the end :biggrin: :biggrin: I hope:eek:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello gibbo,

Mother on certificate = Alice BROADMAN

Real mother = Janet NEIL

Occupation on certificate = twine spinner

Real occupation = coal merchant

CP would probably agree there are people with trees on A......y who would consider that a close enough match. :2fun:

Regards,

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hello gibbo,

Mother on certificate = Alice BROADMAN

Real mother = Janet NEIL

Occupation on certificate = twine spinner

Real occupation = coal merchant

CP would probably agree there are people with trees on A......y who would consider that a close enough match. :2fun:

Regards,

Dave
:2fun: :2fun: A close match:eek:
I had one who i emailed and she said that her fella and mine were not the same. She knew for a fact that her fella never left the state he was born in. Well hello he had:rolleyes: I ordered some cert. and her fella and mine were the same one and from my research he had lived in several other states, he had left a paper trail like you wouldnt believe. She obviously hadnt done any homework on him.

craftycsh

got mine on tuesday just over a fortnight so not bad wasnt right one but as its Edward lewis not surprized.it was his death cert had nurse registaring him not his wife and occupation not the same so either I have got the wrong man or not found the right death as the lewis's in london are impossible to sort out.Christine