• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Gt Grandma gives nothing away!

JMR

I wonder if someone could pour any light on my Gt Grandmother's background please?

She was born Mary Ann Austin (that's on her marriage certificate) in 1861 in Kirkstall. Her Mother was Hannah Austin on her birth certificate, which I have finally sourced. She was not listed on Free BMD or anywhere on Ancestry listings before her marriage to John Gaunt in 1881, so it's all guess work really.

I eventually found a listing for her on the Yorkshire BMD, so not sure why she wouldn't also be on free BMD (does anyone know the difference)? I think she was listed on the 1871 census as Mary Ann Moule as there was a marriage between a Hannah Austin and Luke Moule in 1869, but Hannah had died 18 months after her marriage meaning she was not listed on the 1871 census with Luke and Mary Ann Moule.

My Gt Grandmother's birth certificate when it arrived was very different from any others I have, in as much as it was typed and not a photocopy of the original handwritten one. It had her birth date, address and Mother's name and a line drawn through the spot for her father's name, indicating she was illegitimate and this matches with her marriage certificate, which had the column for her Father's name blanked out also. I was really disappointed that there was so little information given on the certificate. Would anyone know why this certificate was typed and not a copy of the handwritten one please? Is there any further follow up I can do?

In the 1861 census, before Mary Ann was born, Hannah's occupation was listed as "formerly Servant". Does anyone know of houses in the area who would have employed servant in the mid to late 1800s? Who knows I could be related to Earl/Lord/Duke of Harewood!

Ben I know you're a good detective in this space, where do you think I can research further around this?

Gt Grandma is a major frustration - the only other thing she left behind is the photo of a mystery relative called "Aunt Sarannie" who I can't track to anyone on my tree at all! Aagggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Jill