• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Gudgeon anyone know that name?

cacran

I am trying to piece together my husbands maternal family. His mum was Joyce Gudgeon born 27th, August 1929. She lived in Bradford West Yorkshire. She had a sister called Ivy. I know that she was sent to live in Colne, Lancs. for a period of time during the war years.

Does anyone out there have any information for me?

gortonboy

Loyal Member
birth reference

Name GUDGEON, Joyce

Registration district Bradford

County Yorkshire

Year 1929

Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep

Mother's maiden name:Walsh

Volume no 9B

Page no 294

gortonboy

Loyal Member
and i cant see a birth for an Ivy Gudgeon with mothers maiden name Walsh? were they full sisters? do you have a year of birth for Ivy?

davelambert271

Loyal Member
Hi Carol
You have a stinker....
there are three certificates which will help identify Joyce and Ivy
1- birth
Joyce Gudgeon - j/s 1929 Bradford ref 9b 294
2 - marriage
Joyce Gudgeon to Norman M Cranston - j/m 1948 Bradford Ref 2b 308
3 - marriage
Ivy Gudgeon to Willie Pulman - j/m 1953 Bradford ref 2b 422

I cannot find Ivy's birth reg, nor can I find a Marriage between Gudgeon and Walsh. There seems to be only one mge. in Bradford around 1920/40. Funnily enough it fits perfectly at a/j 1928 between Arthur Gudgeon and Alice M Illingworth ref 9b 559.
These children were born to parents Gudgeon/Illingworth
Ernest dec 1930
Shirley jun 1934
John Mar 1936
Kathleen W 1936 Eric N 1938
Ivy was married 1953 so was probably born about 1933; was this Shirley who had a 2nd name?

dave

cacran

Thanks to you both for this information. It is the very first thing I have ever found out.
My husband is sure that Ivy was older than his mum Joyce. Don't know if Ivy had another christian name.
All he remembers about Ivy is that when he was a little boy pre school age and he was born in June 1953, was that she came to stay with Joyce, Norman and the two boys Kevin and Michael. She had no one with her. There seemed to be some trauma. He does not know how long she stayed but one day she went out and was never seen again. Joyce tried to find her, following some false leads, but after that, nothing............ My husband thinks that Ivy was special needs, thought to have been that way following a childhood accident. There is no one that we know of from that family.

davelambert271

Loyal Member
Hi
I've scoured the records available to me without finding anything further.
If you really want to trace them, then I think you will need to get the two marriage certs. These will give you their ages, father's name and occupation.
this is the online web site of the GRO - http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Willie Pulman died 1963, but I can't see a death for Ivy, this would give her age. I can't see any children, which ties in with what you thought.

dave