• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

gutteridge/guttridge/gutterage

libbygirlxxx

well hello all and hope you are all well!!! right my mothers paternal side of the family is driving me mad as the spellings of names keeps changing so i dont really know which line to follow right this is what i have so far an i am hopeing that someone could work it out for me :
my mothers name is georgina GUTTERIDGE her father was george henry GUTTERIDGE but his dad was george henry GUTTRIDGE as you can see an E is lost in the name and from what we know george henry GUTTRIDGE was born 1906 (feb 6th) and he had the following siblings:
nellie
voilet
john
josiah
alice
plus some more that we have no names to as yet.
There parents were named john and alice guttridge but we are not to sure of which spelling was used for there surnames so therefore cannot dig further into the past for the reast of the tree so hopefully someone would be able to give me some insight as i have not got access to ancestry fully .
thank you for your time and effort xxx

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Joe,

Found this marriage:-

Richard John J Guttridge
Year 1889
Dec 1/4
Dist Wolverhampton

There is a Alice Parker Listed.

Surnames get corrupted the best bet is to look under both spellings. In 1881
it seems he's under Gutteridge parents Joseph and Mary A.

What sort of info do you require?

libbygirlxxx

thanks for that i did find the marriage to alice parker but for some reason his name was richard and then i have found that he later lost the name richard and went by the name of john(i think) were did you find his parents names because i just did not know were to look were ther any siblings or anything like that. thanks for the help julie always appreciate it
joxxx

libbygirlxxx

I have got him being born in 1868 but at the minute i am not only getting confused with there surname but also his first name as in some it seems he was richard j j then in others he was just john so i really dont know
joe xxx
is there any chance of you checking the 1891 and 1901 census for me plz xx

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
1881 as follows:-

Civil parish Sedgley
Reg dist Dudley

21 Vernon Street

Richard Gutterage head age 36 occ iron worker born Tipton Staffs
Sarah A wife age 32 born Tipton
Richard JJ age 13 occ unemployed born Tipton
Jane E dau age 11 born Tipton
Thomas son age 9 born Sedgley
Maria dau age 5 born Sedgley
Hannah dau age 3 born Sedgley
William son age 11 months born Sedgley

libbygirlxxx

Thanks for that julie but is ther any chance on getting the 1871 and the 1901 for these familes plz if you dont mind your a star my love.I think on the 1901 that he dropped the name richard and just went as john but cant be to sure i hate it when things get confusing xx
joe xxx

1891 Census
Richard J J Guttridge b1868 Tipton
Alice " b1869 Bilston
Ellen " b1889 "
Violet " b1890 Sedgley
Harriet " b1884 " (sister)

Richard is an Iron worker abode 2 Skate/Slate Row Sedley

1901 Census
John Gutteridge b1868 Bilston
Alice " b 1868 Coseley
Alice " b1899 Bilston
Athur " b1893 "
John " b1894 "
Josiah " b1899 "
Nellie " b1889 " (this could be Ellen on 1891)??
Samuel " b1897 Sedgley
Violet " b1890 Bilston

John is listed as a Iron ??? Residence 5 Lord Street Bilston

Hope this helps

George Henry Gutteridge b1877
1891 Census
Father Thomas Guttridge b1846
Mother Sarah J b1849
Eliza b1889
Florence May b1891
George H b 1887
Hannah b1878
Jane E b1870
Josiah b1864 ( Brother)
Josiah b1885
Samuel b1874
Thomas b1872
William b 1881
Living Brierley Sedgley Staffordshire

1901Census
Father Thomas Gutteridge b1846
Mother Sarah I b1849
Eliza b1890
Florence M b 1891
George H b1877
Hanna b1883 (looks like harriet on census could she be the sister with Richard JJ ???))
Josiah b1885
Matilda b1893
Samuel b1874
Thomas b1872
William 1881

Living Darlaston Walsall staffordshire

Last edited:
Hello, I am new to this forum and have only just found your message regarding the Guttridge family.

My Grandmother was Harriet Guttridge and she was a sister of George Henry Guttridge born in Sedgley. If you are still a member of this forum please make contact as we no doubt have information that will help with our trees.

regards,

hi
I am also researching Gutteridge but it lokks like a different line, so far all my Gutteridge family come from Coventry. Still if you need any help give me a shout more than willing too help as you never know
Sharon

Hi Sharon, Thanks for the reply, at the moment I have no connections to Coventry but I will get in touch if I find anything. If you need any info about the West Midland Gutteridge's please ask.

Terry

Hi Libbygirl, We are obviously related as several names you have listed on this site are trelatives of mine. I have quite alot of information about the Guttridge/Gutteridge families born in Tipton/Dudley/Sedgley/Wolverhampton back to around 1793, also re the families that emigrated from Sedgley/Dudley to the USA in the 1890s. What is your connection with this family.
Terry

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
juliejtp Genealogy Beginners Help 2
juliejtp 1871 Census Request 0
L 1891 Census Request 1