• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Haigh/Sykes Marriage

Hi All,

Hoping you can help !
My grandad was born 2nd June 1924 in Slaithwaite, West Yorkshire. His parents were James Edward Haigh and Edith Alice (formerly Sykes ) I have obtained this from his birth certificate. As my grandads parents both died when my grandfather was a toddler I have no other information apart from odd names of his aunties etc who i belive raised him. I'm therefore trying to find his parents marriage certificate to ascertain the ages etc before going any further but can't seem to find a reference to the marriage anywhere !!!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help !!!

Kind Regards

Sarah Curtis

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Sarah

Marriages June 1920

Haigh James E Sykes Huddersfield 9a 1096.

I clicked into the others on the page but all that comes up is a Margaret Firth. There probably is a mistranscription with the page number. I shall try and look to see if the Sykes spouses first name was Edith.

UPDATE. The original index image says the spouse was an Edith A Sykes. 9a 1096.

Ben

Yes, Already done ! I just can't stand the waiting for it to arrive part. Once i've got the reference etc i just want the information on it right there and then !!!!!
I've also ordered a death cert for James as i found one with about the right birth year and a death year 3 years after my grandad was born ( James was 36 which is probably not that common ?? ) This ties in with the fact I know my grandad was orphaned at a young age. I should have probably waited for the marriage certificate to come to be sure it was the right one but then i would have to wait another week !!

Thanks once again for your help I really do appreciate it as there is absolutley no details in the family ( I asked my grandad last year before he died but he was very reluctant to talk about anything ) fso i'm hoping to learn some interesting facts

Kindest Regards

Sarah