• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hanmer family in Footscray

I have traced the Hanmer family who emigrated to Australia and settled in Footscray at the turn of the C20th.
I believe Edward had a haulage business and was mayor c.1931. He also returned to Shropshire to visit family in the 1920's or 1930's. I have a book with a mention of a visit recorded and showing a photograph.

does any one have a connection with this family?

Thanks in anticipation of any help/information. :)

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Dizzy :)
Good luck in finding a connection.
Was Rosaline Emma died Footscray 1952 bn 1869 one of the family?
Only asking in case it helps people connect to you.
And did Edward live to 85yrs? died 1958.
Thanks me dear.
There is one arrival for Hanmer's in 1923, staying in Norley Ches not sure if they are your people, he's a contractor but in 1938 visit to Ches he's a haulage contractor.
It it's him in 1956 he had a new wife...

ozn

gibbo

Loyal Member
Bit of trivia that may be of some interest for you.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954)
Saturday 7 November 1936

NEW TOWN HALL AT
FOOTSCRAY

Opening on November 19

The new £30,000 town hall at Foots- cray, which is almost complete, will be officially opened by the Governor (Lord Huntingfield) at 3 p.m. on Thursday, No-vember 19.
The town hall will bo declared open after the Governor lias been-received by the Mayor (Councillor E, Hanmer) and Mayoress (Mrs.- Hanmer) and councillors and their wives. A guard of honour for the Governor will be provided by the 32nd Battalion.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954)
Thursday 17 February 1938

FAREWELL TO FORMER MAYOR

Leading residents of Footscray gave a farewell dance in the Orama Hall, Footscray,_ last night to Councillor and Mrs. E. Hanmer, who will leave shortly for England. Councillor Hanmer has been Mayor of Foot- scray on two occasions. The illustration shows Councillor Hanmer (with hands crossed) and Mrs. Hanmer with some of the guests who attended.

[There is a photo in the newspaper that goes with the above article, its not real clear but let me know if you would like it and i will pass it onto you.]

hi i am related to edward hanmer born in 1872 cockshutt shropshire,he was mayor of
footscray from 1936 til 1937. i am related to him, if i have got my family tree correct
he is my great grand uncle,i have record of him coming over in 1956 two before he died
i am a new member, brian p

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
hi i am related to edward hanmer born in 1872 cockshutt shropshire,he was mayor of
footscray from 1936 til 1937. i am related to him, if i have got my family tree correct
he is my great grand uncle,i have record of him coming over in 1956 two before he died
i am a new member, brian p
Hopefully, dizzylizzie will pick this thread up Brian.;):)

Steve.:)

Hi Dizzielizzie,

I am related to Edward Hanmer - he was my father Edward Hanmers favourite uncle 'Ted', and he visited him a number of times from Adelaide when he was a young man - probably in the 1930's and 1950's.

I would like to know any geniology data, as we were the Watkins and I would like to trace the Hanmers back to England to see which sister married the into the Watkins. My brothers and I were all given the Hanmer name, and I have given it to both my sons as an additional name, as it was so important to my fathers memory of his uncle. I am not sure if Edward Hanmer was my fathers Uncle or Great Uncle, but my fathers Father was John Watkins and came out from England in about 1914-1920, if this helps.

From another Lissie

oznannie

Loyal Member
Lovely post Lissie.
Not sure what's happening here as I don't think Lizzie has replied to poster Paul on the first page.
All the best with your search.
John Watkins who came to Oz was your grandfather yes? mother's maiden name Hanmer?
How old would he have been? Thank you
Oznannie :)

Last edited:

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi everyone:)
The Age has a report of Edward Hanmer's death 28.1.1858 aged 88yrs at Masonic Hospital East Melbourne. Born England 1870.
He was Mayor 1932-33 and again in 1937-38
In Office when the Footscray Town Hall was officially opened 1937.
He was on the Committee for the Footscray Football Club ( a very special part of Aussie Rules history) and was survived by his widow. I hope this of help to posters.
Oznannie

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I will post more this evening, but for now, Edward Hanmer, was a brother to Samuel Hanmer who was my grandmother's grandfather. Samuel died 20th July 1941 aged 75years living in English Frankton with Agnes his wife who died 30th Aug 1943 aged 73yrs.
Samuel and Edward's parents were Thomas (born approx 1828) and Jane Hanmer. Thomas father also Thomas Hanmer (born approx 1801)married to Mary.
Samuel and Edward had other siblings:John (1863)m. Margaret Roberts in 1886, George (1869),
Martha (1876),
Thomas (b.1857 d.1928),m. Ann Gough - two children Dorothy and Levi
Mary (1879),
Ann Hanmer m. William Smith. Birth Dates taken from church baptismal records so are approximate. All baptised at Cockshutt church, Shropshire.

Last edited:
Samuel and Agnes Hanmer had eight children.
Ada m. Fred Haynes
Alice m. Horace Roland Coles
Barbara m. Wilf Gregory
Blanche m. William Young
Edward m. Florence Morrey (my great grandparents)
Thomas Hanmer
Jim Hanmer m. Fanny (Elizabeth ) Williams
Bill Hanmer

The following information is taken from the Shrewsbury Chronicle 13/11/1931 which reports on Edward becoming Mayor in Footscray.

Edward had a small holding in Norley, Cheshire, England where he met his wife. In 1904 they went out to Australia. After 2 years in New South Wales they crossed the Murray and resided in St Kilda, where Edward worked as a storeman. In 1908 they settled in Footscray where Edward started a business as a carter.
The paper states that he visited his old home in Cockshutt about 5 years ago.

Hi Dizzielizzie,

I am related to Edward Hanmer - he was my father Edward Hanmers favourite uncle 'Ted', and he visited him a number of times from Adelaide when he was a young man - probably in the 1930's and 1950's.

I would like to know any geniology data, as we were the Watkins and I would like to trace the Hanmers back to England to see which sister married the into the Watkins. My brothers and I were all given the Hanmer name, and I have given it to both my sons as an additional name, as it was so important to my fathers memory of his uncle. I am not sure if Edward Hanmer was my fathers Uncle or Great Uncle, but my fathers Father was John Watkins and came out from England in about 1914-1920, if this helps.

From another Lissie
Hi Lissie, do any of the names I mentioned in my updated posts mean anything to you?

Hi everyone:)
The Age has a report of Edward Hanmer's death 28.1.1858 aged 88yrs at Masonic Hospital East Melbourne. Born England 1870.
He was Mayor 1932-33 and again in 1937-38
In Office when the Footscray Town Hall was officially opened 1937.
He was on the Committee for the Footscray Football Club ( a very special part of Aussie Rules history) and was survived by his widow. I hope this of help to posters.
Oznannie
The Footscray football club was how I first found out about the links with this area. It had been worngly transcribed in the library but my brother guessed it was Footscray, he lived in Australia for 10months on a work exchange.:)

:):)
i have found a frederic watkins born abt 1855 who married mary ann hanmer born abt 1859
died 1938,they had several chidren william f watkins born abt 1889, in 1901 census he was
living with jane hanmer his grandmother, as i find more info i will post the results.
brianp

hi dizzie lizzie
thomas hanmer born 1858 wed anne gough born 1856, they had levi my grandfather
1878-1959, john 1881-1892, thomas 1882-1961, george 1885-1918 killed in ww1,
sarah 1888-? they lived in rosemary cottage in cockshutt.
brianp