• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hannah Buchanan Mochrie b.1879

hi

i am searching for a Hannah Buchanan Mochrie who married Alfred McKinlay or McGinlay in the early 1906 she was a school mistress, he was a blacksmith living on gt eastern road.

They had a son named John Sneddon Mckinlay in Dennistoun 1906

after his birth they disappear!

the problem is Alfreds name should be McGinlay and the record list his mothers name as McFarlane when her maiden name was Russell.

any info on these people would be great.

Hi nvb72

I have started unravelliing your Family History with kind regards to Scotlandspeople ! Do you subscribe to this website ? I find on the whole , that it is an excellent site.

Hannah Buchanan Mochrie was born on 1st Feb 1879 at 49 Broadlands, Paisley.Her parents were William Mochrie, a spindle maker (journeyman ) and Mary Mochrie nee Blair,according to the birth certificate they were married on the 30th March 1874

Before I get on to her parents....

In 1906 John Sneddon McFarlane Mc Kinley was born on 4th November.
His father was Alfred McFarlane McKinley a Blacksmith (journeyman ) and his mother was Hannah Buchanan McKinley nee Mochrie . They were married according to this certificate on 2nd January 1906 (Phew !!!) Alfred signed the document. In the district of Dennistoun, Lanarkshire.

Hannah's parents married in district of High Church in Glasgow in 1874 on 30th March in Dennistoun.
William Mochrie, spindlemaker, bachelor 20 living in 17, Queen Street, Bridgeton ? . His father was John Mochrie a Joiner (journeyman ) and his mother was Mary A orH ierlesid nee Hul'son ( sorry the writing is bad ). Signed John Murray,who he was Idon't know as it was not the Registrar and very clearly Murray not Mochrie,perhaps a witness though not stated. Witnesses were David Pringle and Susan Pringle, and previous man !!

Are you still with me ?!!!

Right ! Alfred McFarlane McKinley married in the District of Blythswood, Glasgow on2nd January 1906 at 351 Auzebeson ? Street, Glasgow.
Alfred was a Blacksmith (journeyman ) Bachelor 27, of 265 Great Eastern St, Glasgow
His father was John McKinley, Engine driver (deceased ) and his mother was Janet or Jane McKinley nee McFarlane.
Hannah B. Mochrie was a Spinster 26 and lived at 10 John St Bridgton Glasgow. Her father was William Mochrie a Machinist and mother was Mary Mochrie nee Blair

Mary Blair, a cotton weaver, steamloom, 19, Spinster was the daughter of William Blair a Master Tailor and mother was Mary Blair nee Wood. Mary was living at 49,Aberernisby ? St, Glasgow.

If this is all clear to you now, I will tell you that the name Russell does not appear anywhere. The McFarlane McKinley name is only the father and the mothers maiden name and then stops thank goodness as it is hell typing it out.!!

I haven't even looked at the Census yet as I needed to make sense of who was who and why. If you have found McGinley anywhere it has to be forward from these dates and by mistake. It is definitely McKinley. I have printed off the birth and marriage certs. if you have not got them. I can always send them to you.

When I have a minute I will look at the Census !!

Nainmaddie

Hi nvb272

I am sorry that you sent your reply by private message, as I think that we could do with some help here.

From your original message or thread, what I have found I think is correct.
Hannah's marriage is correct. I have it in front of me as I take a printed copy.
The rest follows on from there.

I had not tried the Census in any year as you provided Hannah proper name but without mentioning Glasgow in any of it.

I find it very strange that Alfred is supposed to be one of twins, and month apart from his brother. It does not ring true somewhere.

If you could put the message on here, some of the others might be able to help us sort the tangle out

Nainmaddie

hi again

ok

i knew that John and Janet had a son John born 1878 and died what lools like the same day when i saw the birth date from Alfred i thought maybe they were twins, however i have just checked my scotlands people records and found an Alfred McFarlane born in Kelvin 1878 and the date is the same as what the US records show,the scottish records states his mother as Janet McFarlane.

I therefore think that Alfred was adopted by John McGinlay and Janet Archibald, it was the dates of birth between John and Alfred that was confusing me.

As for headaches now you know how i feel McGinlay, McKinlay spelt Mc, Mac with an a, with an e etc.

i only have to find a death rcord for Janet and i need to find Isabella and James.

i appreciate your input and yes your searches were correct, i honestly did not have a clue until last night.