• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Harley - Yorkshire/canada 1856

William Hodgson Harley and Agnes (Lowden) Harley appear in Hull in the 1851 and the 1861 census. Their son, William Taylor Harley, was born in Canada - the later census indicate this, and my Grandmother had told me that her father was born in Canada. I do not know when the parents arrived in Canada, where they settled, or when they returned to England. Family stories are that William Taylor Harley was born "near Niagara Falls" but I cannot find any records.

Hello Craig=if nothing else the following might fill in a few gaps?
:)baptism of William Hodgson Harley =father John Harley=mother Elizabeth at Holy Trinity Church ,Kingston upon Hull 18/6/1821(familysearch-ref GS 0990828-30)
:'(death of Willaim H Harley(taken from England and Wales deaths 1837-2007)in the county of Yorkshire district of Hull O/N/D/ 1863
:)marriage of William H Harley to Agnes Lowden @Holy Trinity Church,Kingston Upon Hull 24/8/1848,Agnes `father listed has Samuel Lowden(ref 242 pg121)
:)Agnes born Yorkshire 1831 she died Yorkshire 1914

Romany Rose x

====William Taylor Harley===
:)birth registered as West Canada(familysearch)1856
:)marriage of above ,28/10/1876 at Sculcotes,Yorkshire(familysearch ref 1682579)(English marriages 1538-1973) to Mary Elizabeth Harrison born 1855@ Wooton,Lincs- both aged 21-index no 103617-9
:)residences of above 1881@18 Pennington St ,Sutton and Stoneferry,Yorkshire,East Riding
William T Harley ..h...m...1856 Canada....ship draughtsman
Mary E Harley......w...m...1855 Yorks
Frances A Harley
Charlotte Harley
(familysearch,gs 1342146 pg 7 folio 4746/97)

:)1891 @Whitley Bay,Northumberland

******worth noting that William Taylor Harley had a sister Agnes Harley born Sutton Yorkshire 1851(familysearch ref1652400)

Romany Rosex

===passenger lists==
taken from Canadian -passenger lists 1881-1922

:)William Harley
birth England,immigration August 1833 from England to Halifax ,Nova Scotia,Canada
ship name==Caspian
film number C-4512,digital folder n..004539164
=======================
:)William H Harley
taken from passenger list-leaving U.K 1890-1960
arrival destination Canada(Port Saint John N.B)
year 1912
departure port Liverpool
ship name==Tunisian

Romany Rose x

:)Romany Rose - thanks so much for the information. I do have quite a bit of detail around Wm. T Harley and his family, as well as Wm. H. and his family. The specific puzzles are around why (and where) the family was in Canada. Wm. H. is in the 1851 census in Hull, and then again in the 1861 census in Hull, but this time with his 5-year old son, Wm. T. I did find a bankruptcy notice for Wm. T. in 1851, so perhaps that was a trigger for his departure, but then why his return?

Another puzzle I have is that Wm. T. was listed in the censuses as a "naval draughtsman" and then "naval architect", living in Hull most of his life. Then the family appears in Whitely, Tynemouth, Northumberland in the 1891 census. By 1901, my Grandmother is working as a domestic, and her two brothers are in the Union Poorhouse! Mary Elizabeth (Harrison) Harley appears to have died in January 1901, and Wm. T. in January 1904 (I can find no record of this, but it is noted in a diary of my Grandmother). The family seems to have fallen on bad times in 1901!

One of the boys in the Poorhouse was my Grandmother's brother, William H., who appears to have left for Canada in 1912, as you noted (she left in 1911).

Thanks again,
Craig.

Craig
Upon putting in a search for William Hodgson Harley through www.Ancestry .com--its free has Calliek has posted in the general chat room has posted up until 29 December:D
his name come up with the Canadian Militia
take a look(this is definately your William:))
Canadian Militia and Defence Forces 1832,1863-1939,soldie ,veteran and prisoner rolls list)
Romany Rose x

Last edited:
R-R,

Thanks again! As for the first post, Jamie is my neice, and we are hunting for the same ancestors :)

I currently have a subscription to Ancestry, but cannot locate the reference you refer to - lots of "William" and "Harley" references, but I do not see WHH anywhere:confused:

Craig.