• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Harris of West Bromwich

Hi
I am stuck and don't know where to look. I have a Marriage for John Thomas Harris and Elizabeth Burn July 1852 at Handsworth. Elizabeth died maybe in 1857 and John Thomas married again in 1861 in Brisbane. I am trying to find the 2 daughters of the first marriage. Their names were Mary and Eliza/Elizabeth. On freebmd there are 9 Marys and 7 Eliza/Elizabeths between 1852 and 1857.
Where do I go from here? Can anyone please help.
Lissa

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Re: Harris of West Browich

Hi Lissa,

Family search have centres worldwide, but they havnt got one in Wellington.
So dont know which then would be the nearest to you. Micro fiches can be ordered from the nearest familysearch centre and viewed there for a fee.

See link below:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Have you looked on the 1861 English census for John?

Could try whittling down Mary and Elizabeth by elimination on the 1861 cenus.

Post the birth registration details you have and will try it that way and see if we can come up with something.

Or you could see if there are any parish records on CD for sale for what you want.

Hi Julie
Thanks for that help. I will try the census although he may have left the UK by then. The details I have from freeBMD are not much they are all West Bromich Warwickshire and Vol 6b (I don't know if this helps)
There is Elizabeth in the Dec. quarter in 1853,1854,1857. One in March quarter 1855 and June quarter 1857.
Mary is 1855 in the June quarter, 1856 Sept quarter and 1852,1853,1854.1856,1857 all in the Dec quarter. What was it with that quarter!!
I'll understand if you can't get anything out of this lot.
Cheers
Lissa

Hi
I am stuck and don't know where to look. I have a Marriage for John Thomas Harris and Elizabeth Burn July 1852 at Handsworth. Elizabeth died maybe in 1857 and John Thomas married again in 1861 in Brisbane. I am trying to find the 2 daughters of the first marriage. Their names were Mary and Eliza/Elizabeth. On freebmd there are 9 Marys and 7 Eliza/Elizabeths between 1852 and 1857.
Where do I go from here? Can anyone please help.
Lissa
did the daughters go with their father to Brisbane?

Hi Julie
Thanks for that help. I will try the census although he may have left the UK by then. The details I have from freeBMD are not much they are all West Bromich Warwickshire and Vol 6b (I don't know if this helps)
There is Elizabeth in the Dec. quarter in 1853,1854,1857. One in March quarter 1855 and June quarter 1857.
Mary is 1855 in the June quarter, 1856 Sept quarter and 1852,1853,1854.1856,1857 all in the Dec quarter. What was it with that quarter!!
I'll understand if you can't get anything out of this lot.
Cheers
Lissa
the only other thing I can think of to help is perhaps to email the relevant register office and explain the problem, they might be willing to do a MMN check on the girls names, as that is the only sure fire way to find out when they were born. (you could do this thro the GRO but it would mean toing and froing quite abit).

Julie