• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hartley Family

Website
www.scottchurchcreations.co.uk
I am searching for a Lewis Hartley married to a Sarah Hartley, they had 4 children so i have been told who were Joseph, annie, emily, evelyn. Emily was born in Dec 1902 North Bierley. This all i have been told by my uncle whom im researching his family for to get started with. Iv been searching birth records and found Emily, but cannot confirm the other children as yet. The trouble is i have found no record in any census of a Lewis Hartley married to a Sarah Hartley.

My uncle believed the family came from shipley but i can confirm the emily born in North Bierley in 1902 is the correct one.

I would appreciate any help, and will continue to look, hopefully my uncle will get back to me with some more details soon which might help narrow the search.

All the best

scott

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Scott,

Emmas Birth certificate will give you the mothers maiden name. What county are we looking at, as I'm not to hot on places.

lizanne

Hi scottiow,
Could his name be James Lewis Hartley.?
I have found James Lewis Hartley age 14 living in the parish of Shipley on the 1881 census.
Was Hartley Sarah's maiden name .?
Lizanne :)

Website
hello sorry, i copied the text over from roots chat where it was in the counties directory. Its in the west riding of Yorkshire. HArtley is not sarahs maiden name, i do not no what tht is yet. I have found emily's brith certificate which i will order, but was trying to see if i could find anything else out in the mean time. I dont understand why the is no lewis hartley and sarah living together on say 1901 census, however it is possible lewis may have been his middle name and a name which he went by etc.

Thanks for your help everyone

all the best

scott

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Maybe they married after the 1901 census?

Theres death for a James Lewis Hartley born abt 1867 died 1898 district North Bierley. He's a possible from the 1881 census.

Website
I dont think JAmes Lewis Hartley can be the right one then as EMily HArtley thier daughter was born for sure in 1902, so that counts that out. I havnt really been told any more from my uncle yet so have to wait. Also order the birth certificate for EMily, which should point me in the right direction.

Again thanks for all your help

all the best

scott