• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

HATTLEs and CROMBIEs in Berwickshire and vicinity

In reply to another post of mine, member Barbarajoh replied that her husband's HATTLE line from Berwick upon Tweed married into CROMBIE and moved to the neighbouring Scottish borders area.

I am certain that there were a couple of HATTLE-CROMBIE marriages in and around Berwick upon Tweed, as the families were near neighbours in the Greenses part of Berwick upon Tweed census after census, and many of the HATTLE marriages I have traced were with lads or lasses from a few doors down the road.

One that I know of was between Margaret HATTLE (b. about 1842) and James CROMBIE in 1865. Margaret was the daughter of my 2nd Great-Grand Uncle John HATTLE and Isabella MANUEL. Margaret and James had at least 2 children, John CROMBIE (about 1869) and Isabella CROMBIE (about 1871).

Then there was L/Cpl Thomas Hattle CROMBIE of the Northumberland Fusiliers who died aged 33 in WW1 (23 June 1915) and is buried in the Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, son of Christina and the late Alexander CROMBIE of 97 Low Greens, Berwick upon Tweed. I haven't entered this into my tree yet as I started investigating this link just before leaving on a visit to Australia, but I seem to recall my notes that Christina was another daughter of John HATTLE and Isabella MANUEL. (97 Low Greens is an address which appears a couple of times in my HATTLE census records)

Any help on how these CROMBIE lines progressed would be great.