• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Have I got the right page?

ral91

Valued Member
Hi, I'm ordering a cert and I remember ordering this one once before but they said the page was incorrect, despite copying it straight from the transcription on a****try. I know it sounds like a pretty simple thing to do by oneself, but the page number is a little blurred on the document, so would like a few other opinions before ordering.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...3d348044441z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgPLz0q3dpid

Ryan

ral91

Valued Member
Just out of interest Ryan, is William Fannan(1865.Wapping), the Dock Labourer in 1891, with children William(W), Annie and James. and wife Annie(Berlin, Germany).

Steve.:)
Yeah that's right, been researching them for a little while now and I think this is what I need to get back as it should list Annie's parents; the whole German thing certainly throws a spanner in the works - I have trouble searching people anywhere outside of London!

Ryan

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yeah that's right, been researching them for a little while now and I think this is what I need to get back as it should list Annie's parents; the whole German thing certainly throws a spanner in the works - I have trouble searching people anywhere outside of London!

Ryan
OK, just their ages go a bit wayward in 1901 Census.

Steve.:)

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Dave,

I am unsure what to go on because on the top right corner of the page is what looks like to me 236 (the sandwiching pages look almost definitely 235 and 237). I am assuming that this is the page they ask for on GRO as when I ordered this cert before I used 533 (the one by Annie's name) and they said they could not find any matching certs.

Ryan

Hi Dave,

I am unsure what to go on because on the top right corner of the page is what looks like to me 236 (the sandwiching pages look almost definitely 235 and 237). I am assuming that this is the page they ask for on GRO as when I ordered this cert before I used 533 (the one by Annie's name) and they said they could not find any matching certs.

Ryan
Ryan If the GRO cannot find it on page 533 it is not on 533 and with all the uncertanty I would not bother putting it on. It's for a marraige cert then just put the names on and where it tells you to put in 01/01/whatyear and they will look either side of that year.

ral91

Valued Member
Ryan If the GRO cannot find it on page 533 it is not on 533 and with all the uncertanty I would not bother putting it on. It's for a marraige cert then just put the names on and where it tells you to put in 01/01/whatyear and they will look either side of that year.
I thought the same so I have tried ordering with 236 which looks like the page number - this has worked for another marriage cert. If it comes back with no results again, I think they only charge £3 for searching so it's not too much of a loss. Thanks :)

I thought the same so I have tried ordering with 236 which looks like the page number - this has worked for another marriage cert. If it comes back with no results again, I think they only charge £3 for searching so it's not too much of a loss. Thanks :)
What do you mean they only charge £3 for searching? If they search for an order at the GRO and they dont find it they dont charge a thing. :confused:

ral91

Valued Member
What do you mean they only charge £3 for searching? If they search for an order at the GRO and they dont find it they dont charge a thing. :confused:
Last time I searched for this particular marriage, I entered the wrong page (well, the page I was told on a****try) and they charged me £3 or £4 for searching their records for it. Perhaps it's changed after the price increase, though.

Last time I searched for this particular marriage, I entered the wrong page (well, the page I was told on a****try) and they charged me £3 or £4 for searching their records for it. Perhaps it's changed after the price increase, though.
Your ordering it through ancestery? it will cost you an arm and a leg. It costs £9.25 for a cert from GRO and if you order it the way I discribed and they find nothing they send the money..all of it...back to you..here's the link

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

ral91

Valued Member
Your ordering it through ancestery? it will cost you an arm and a leg. It costs £9.25 for a cert from GRO and if you order it the way I discribed and they find nothing they send the money..all of it...back to you..here's the link

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
No, I order it through the GRO site. I just find the document on an****ry which gives all the relevant info and I just enter it into the ordering form on GRO.

Hi
You are quoting two different page nos. Page 236 is the page number of the INDEX, it is not the page number required by GRO. The page number they require is the one by the name, in this case we think its 1c 533. I suggest you do as St suggests, and just order on the names of the bride and groom, giving the date and place, etc.

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Ryan,

I won't get into the page number discussion but will just add that GRO under the old pricing arrangement had several different charges depending how much searching if any they had to do. With the new price structure there are no longer different charges depending on the amount or lack of details you supply (up to a point) with the one new increased charge.

Regards,

Dave