• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Have you ever found out you are related to someone famous?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I have not yet had that experience but there are some people who can claim a famous or well know ancestor whether direct or a 20th great grandfathers second cousin.

The closest I have is probably a lord of the manor of Herringfleet in the 1200s. I have Frost ancestors in Suffolk and Sir David Frost I think said he is of Suffolk descent and in the same area as he did mention his father or grandfather being a Mayor of Halesworth although I dont know the full story.

Ben

JMR

Valued Member
Hi

I have not yet had that experience but there are some people who can claim a famous or well know ancestor whether direct or a 20th great grandfathers second cousin.

The closest I have is probably a lord of the manor of Herringfleet in the 1200s. I have Frost ancestors in Suffolk and Sir David Frost I think said he is of Suffolk descent and in the same area as he did mention his father or grandfather being a Mayor of Halesworth although I dont know the full story.

Ben
The closest I've come to the rich and famous, is a family rumour that my Knox family line was desended from John Knox considered to be the greatest Reformer in Scottish history in the 1500s. My Granny told everyone she was descended from him.

Since I have been studying the family history though I've discovered that my lot went to Scotland from Ireland much later than the 1500s, in the 1800s. I think Granny just made it up as something to boast about.

It's amazing how many family rumours turn out to be just that - rumours!

Jill

I've subscribed to Ancestry.com.... they have recently added a button to check if you have anyone famous in the family. Unfortunately I haven't but my partner is apprently distantly related to 1st Earl of Stafford, Edward Jenner (vaccinations) and Jane Austen.

Not quite blue blood but maybe a nice shade of lilac :biggrin:

leefer

Loyal Member
I've subscribed to Ancestry.com.... they have recently added a button to check if you have anyone famous in the family. Unfortunately I haven't but my partner is apprently distantly related to 1st Earl of Stafford, Edward Jenner (vaccinations) and Jane Austen.

So she should be good at writing...and giving you the needle then Quietman!

This thread is a few years old, but I have found 2 pretty famous ancestors on my family tree.

One was Helen MacGregor Todd. She was a women's suffragist in the US, and helped to get women's suffrage passed in California and nationally in the US. She had appeared before Congress, and had meetings with several Presidents, and travelled extensively for speaking engagements. She was very active in making working lives better for children and women, and involved with other social issues.

Helen's Sister was Charlotte MacGregor Todd. She was born in Wisconsin, and raised in Iowa and Minnesota. In 1896 she married Lucien Monod (an artist) in Paris, France. Lucien and Charlotte's youngest Son was Jacques Lucien Monod. During the time of the first World War, they moved to Cannes, France. Jacques was involved with the French Resistance during WWII. He was a scientist, and won a Nobel Prize in an area of science in the 1960's. He also served as the director of the Pasteur Institute in France. He was also an accomplished musician, mountain climber, and sailing enthusiast.

Both Helen and Charlotte were my Grandfather McMillan's first Cousins.

There was another sister of Helen and Charlotte's who may have married a somewhat famous person, but I haven't totally made the connection.

I don't have the name of my relative to hand (decorating and everything is in the garage) but recently learned that my father's great aunt emmigrated to America in the 1920s and was a housekeeper in Chicago at an apartment belonging to a wealthy businessman who she described as a 'polite and gentle man who was very secretive about his dealings'

The man in question was Al Capone!

gaelwyn

Valued Member
Hi,

This story is not actually about someone being related to a famous person, but it's funny. Could have been :D:D

A convict ancestor called Matthew James Everingham was transported in 1787 on 'Scarborough', in the First Fleet. He was thought to be born abt 1769 in Yorkshire. By legend, son of Earl William Everingham and Lady Alice. :eek::eek:
Between 1929 and 1933, family members formed "The Millions Club". They paid someone to track the millions of pounds from inheritances owed to G Grandfather Matthew, that was held in Chancery. Of course, no fortune was found, the millions didn't exist and he absconded with the money they'd paid for the search :2fun::2fun::2fun:

duckweed

Loyal Member
The nearest I have got is by marriage so not really the same as not descended from them. An ancestor married Beatrix Potter and another ancestor married the daughter of the first editor of Punch.

I have one closer relative who was famous in his day. His name was CE Percy and he campaigned for better conditions in the mines including miners being paid for the travelling time there and back from the pit.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Just after I started this thread I found I was a relation of Ronnie and Reggie Kray. I started a new thread though as that was a discovery and a half. They were infamous though. :D

leefer

Loyal Member
Well Benny i shall know where to look for you when you are buried.

In some concrete pillars spanning the services on the motorway near Watford Gap Services:biggrin:

My Great Grandfather, William John McMillan, had connections to famous people. While he worked as a telegraph operator (probably 1860's) in Ontario, it is said he took the first message from Thomas A Edison, when he first worked as a telegraph operator in Ontario.

Also, Great Grandfather worked for James J Hill, who is famous for the railroads in the United States. William John McMillan served as Hill's personal conductor and was a friend of Hill's. Also, William John started & was President of the Veteran's Association of the Great Northern Railway in the US. This organization was for social gatherings for retirees, and became instrumental in funding a retirement program for Great Northern retirees.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have a relative who travelled on the first journey Stephensons Rocket ( the very first steam train) ever made. He worked in the foundry where it was made.

JMR

Valued Member

Hi Everyone and happy Easter.

Where's this magic button on Ancestry? My USA branch of my Wells and Coultas family lines are convinced that we are related to royalty and are in fact descended from King Henry VIII. I very much doubt it as both families were coal miners for generations, but a magic button would settle it once and for all!!!!!

Cheers,
Jill

marjon

its only a story in the family but a sideways family name connected to us is ORTON. There was a Richard ORTON sailed on the 2nd voyage with Captain Cook. This chap had all his clothes and both ears cut off, most probably due to the crew drinking heavily. He is mentioned in all the books written about Captain Cook's voyages. If anyone can give me any information about what happened to Richard, I'd love to know. Captain Cook doesn't mention him again in his logs. Did he bleed to death? Was he put ashore? Did he make it back to England ? Perhaps I will never know ! :(