• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Having a Tudor Day today

duckweed

Loyal Member
Well Tudor but using new technology. I have gathered together copies of old tudor and jacobean recipe books and have picked the less outlandish recipes to try out. Teenage son has volunteered to be taster.

I'm not trying any Heston Blumental recipes, just ordinary ones the modern housewife can cope with albeit the taste may be unusual, sugar and cinnamon seemed to go into everything. Hopefully I can then go on to publish the tried out recipes alongside the more outlandish as a Bishops House Cook Book.

One piece of technology I bet the tudors would have liked was a grater as they had to chop everything very small and put it in a mortar and pound it.

I am also going a walk with a professional tudor historian around Bishops House to discuss my findings about the House. I have discovered by looking at original sources that the previous information given as to which stage was built when was wrong as I have documents that disprove them. Whether you are doing local history or family history never take someone else's word for it. Look for wills, court cases, tax lists.

And I am making a costume from recycled sheets and some cheap remnants but needless to say I am not sewing the whole thing by hand though I do sew the obvious bits by hand. Patterns are from a mix of free sources and paper patterns from the USA.

Not sure how much I'll get done today. Am off to soak the saffron.