• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hector Kingsley Portus TIDDY

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Have found this and now looking for more information:

Enlisted Sydney, NSW 1 Feb 1916 - S/N N2667 - Tiddy Hector Kingsley Portus - School teacher - NOK father Tiddy Henry Martin living at 4 Merlin St North Sydney, NSW - Discharged before Embarkation - Royal Flying Corps F-Lieut - Killed ? Weaver & Allworth Solicitors requesting a copy of death certificate on 14 May 1918 - Wife received package on 2 Oct 1918

Casualty
Name: TIDDY, HECTOR KINGSLEY PORTUS
Initials: H K P
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps
Unit Text: 7th Sqdn
Secondary Regiment: General List
Secondary Unit Text: and
Date of Death: 26/07/1917
Additional information: Husband of Doris K. Tiddy, of "Carrington," Auburn St., Granville, New South Wales, Australia.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 1.
Cemetery: MENDINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Morning gibbo,

Yes, thanks. I read them and it was a bit curious that it didn't actually mention he had been killed. I just noticed a letter from solicitors inquiring about his date of death. I found the casualty details on CWGC site.

If you go to AWM site to the Roll of Honour and search for all conflicts and 'tiddy' there is no hit. ???

He is British not Australian it claims. I can't find him on the Embarkation Roll or the Nominal Roll.

Commemorative Roll - Hector Kingsley Portus Tiddy
Unit: 7th Squadron Royal Flying Corps and General List
Service: British Army
Conflict: 1914-1918
Date of death: 26 July 1917
Cemetery or memorial details: Mendinghem Military Cemetery, Belgium

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello gibbo,

I noticed that. It's before his death so it must be appointment or promotion. Probably promotion to Flight Lieutenant.

The other site had a few details:

A good number of pilots trained at NSW SAS, Richmond, went to RFC/RNAS/RAF.

No 7 Squadron RFC was at Proven East aerodrome from 23 May 1917 to 12 April 1918 and re-equipped with RE8s during July 1917, as per 'The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force' by James J Halley.

No 7 squadron was certainly a corps co-operation unit. Its BE2's were replaced by RE8's approximately June 1917. This was one of the few units originally equipped with the unsatisfactory RE5 before having them replaced by BE2's.

Regards,

Dave