• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hello from Australia

anniew

Hi everyone

My name is Annie and I'm a newbie from Australia. I live in S.E. Australia in Victoria, so we don't get the hot weather that Queenslanders like Lynne does. I am originally from Yorkshire, but have been in Australia for 39 years now, so I'm half and half. I've been doing genealogy for a 2 years now and am amazed at the friendliness of people who want to help.:)

sterico

Loyal Member
hi Anniew, welcome to the FHUK group, I personally have been researching in earnest for just over 8 months and it is fascinating, you will find everyone on FHUK very friendly and helpful, all you need to do is post those illusive questions along with whatever information you do have on the apropriate forum and we will help you to find those answers, or point you in the right direction. We hope that you enjoy yourself on FHUK and enjoy your research.
Again welcome to the family:) best regards stericoO0

Lynne Ryan

welcome
Hello ,i am a newie at all this too on this site..
i sometimes get things a bit messed up with my replies so i do hope everyone can understand me ..lol i have got in laws from my daughter side,who live Minlaton and on an island out from Adelaide,aaah i think they call it King,its where they make cheese am i right..
wAITING on my husband's aunt from N s w to get back to me ,with some family history on his side thr RYAN"S( ireland),and his Mothers side the moffats from Bannockburn Scotland,so i can start doing a bit of digging on his side now..As i have come to a brickwall on my welch side at present..ooh i hate it when this happens,so if there is anyone out there with Morris,Lewis or James Or Morgan,or griffiths, in the family( prembroke) that has all these in your family...H.E.L.P. GIVE me and email ,i just might be able to loosen a few bricks that have got stuck ...lol
cheers Lynne

hi im susan from australia ,im doing my mum side of the family but im hitting a brick wall.CRAWFORD,,,,,,,,i know my grandparents arrived in australia on the ORONTES,1949,,,,,,,,THOMAS VICTOR CRAWFORD wife EDITH crawford nee RAE ,With there 4 children ian,jack,tommy,violet,.........my granfather was born in ALNWICK his parents thomas crawford ,isabella HALL,my aunt CHARLOTTE MAY ADERLAIDE CRAWFORD ,MARRIED ALEXANDER LEARMONTH and also came to australia to live,please help me find my family cheers:kissu:

pee wee

Hi Susan welcome to the FHUK forums,

You will fine a lovely bunch of people here who are only too happy to help break down those brick walls.:kissu:

If you contact the National Archives in your state there should be an office in every major city. They can do a search for the arrival of your grandparents. As you have the year & name of boat it should be easier. It might take them a few weeks but they will get back to you.
I arrived in Australia 10yrs after your grandparents. As I was only 2 at the time I was on my parents documents & had none of my own. The National Archives found all the documents including all medical histories taken at the time. Such as my mum got refused 3 times before we were allowed to come, because of her previous health problems.
I was allowed to go into the archive office & view all documents & copy whatever I wanted. All I paid for was the copying . They should search for your aunt as well if you want them to & it will tell where they landed.

Below is the website for the NSW BDM site they have online records for
Births 1788 - 1908
Deaths 1788 - 1979
Marriages 1788 - 1958

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

Hope this gives you some more options.

Cheers Peta

Littlemo

Hi Annie,
I"M fairly new to this research lark & also pretty new to actually being able to use a computer. Until about 9 months ago Ididn"t even know how to switch one on, but the friendliness & helpfulness on this Site is just unbelieveable.
The members are terrific! What amazes me about it more than anything is how someone in a different Country or even Continent will take the time & trouble to look up something that"s baffling you & can even come up with the answer you "ve been unable to find.
Three Cheers for everyone connected with the fabulous FHUK! Good Luck with your Family Research Annie & Welcome!
Happy Hunting Everyone
Best Wishes Littlemo