• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hello From (New) England

Hi All -

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Christopher Cate, and I'm on the forum so I can bridge the gap in my family history between the US and UK.

My oldest known ancestor is James Cate, who died 15 May 1677 in Portsmouth, NH, USA. I would love to find out where he came from.

I do, thanks! I haven't found a primary source that states his birth in Hillmorton, Warwickshire, so I'm not sure where that comes from. Many of the sources I've found repeat the same statements without a solid primary source to back it up, unfortunately.

solidrock2

Loyal Member
Not sure about the marriage of his father James Christopher Cate, it states that he was married at St. Andrews Parish, Chardstock but the record says
1613 CHARDSTOCK ST ANDREWS 1.6.1613 Christopher CATE &Margery PIKE
http://www.chardstockwebmuseum.org/registers.html
Added
The Chardstock marriage is a different family so you can count that one out. Seems like the Geni and FS records are all cut and paste with no sources.

Last edited:
The earliest record I have for James in 1656 in Portsmouth, where he had to pay a fine to the court for fornication with the woman Alice, who would eventually be his wife. I have no primary records before that.

I assume that, since the FamilySearch site does not give a credible primary source, I cannot rely on Hillmorton being James' birthplace.

In my mind, from New Hampshire, I move backwards to two possibilities:
-Massachusetts (since many New Hampshire pioneers came from Massachusetts Bay which governed Portsmouth from 1641-1679)
-Virginia (Greer's Early Virginia Immigrants, 1623-1666 lists a James Kate arriving in 1643)

Is there a solid source for passenger ship records before the Bristol records start in 1654? Maybe I should be thinking about this some other way...