• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

hello from stroud, glos

Hi all

Just found this site.

Although I live in Gloucestershire, none of my family (so far) come from here, I'm mainly looking in London (Southwark - formerly Surrey, and Hammersmith - old Middlesex) and Essex (Tollesbury), and Scotland for my father's family.

However, if it helps, I'm prepareed to do (not too complicated) lookups at the Gloucester Records Office.

I'm not too sure what they have re family history per se. I've mainly used them to find out about our 16th century listed house, but I'm pretty sure they will have church registers etc that go back a long way

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Would like his birth details if possible. Heres the info I have, place of birth and age bit sketchy. Name John Player born according to census
1861 census born abt 1835 St. Johns
1871 " " abt 1833 Gloucester
1881 census " abt 1836 Wotton

Believe these will come under the registration district of Gloucester.

On his marriage certificate he gives his age as 25 making his year of birth 1835/1836. Fathers name William Player. He married at the baptist chapel, Parkers Row, Gloucester.

Julie

Julie

I will do that when I can. As you may know, Gloucester City has extensive flooding at present - I hope the archives at the record centre are okay - which means the RO may not be open for a bit.

Also we have a family bereavement which will limit me for a while.

I will enquire whether Stroud Library Local Studies have anything - I should be able to check Wotten at least there.

If I haven't got back with anything in a few weeks, post again to jog my memory

Irene

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Irene,

Been watching the news, my 1st thought was hope the records are ok (selfish as always). Hoping now that you've seen the last of the heavy rains. We've had a few downpours but nothing like the rest of the county.

Condolences on your bereavment.

Julie

Julie

Thought I'd look for your John Player on ancestry, to familiarise myself with him.

I think I found him in 1861 (wife Mary Ann; daughter Julia) but couldn't find them in 1871 or 1881, though I did find James Player in 1871 in clifton, bristol, wife Mary A & daughter Julia, who fit, and nothing at all likely in 1881

Do you have the folio references for the entries you found, then I can go straight to him.

However I did find this in 1851

John Player age 18 (birth ~1833) lodger servant born Pitchcomb Glos

residence East Dean Glos (part of registration district Westbury on Severn, where Mary Ann was born)

It's circumstantial, but a good chance this is also your John

Irene

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Irene,

To me it seems that James and John are the same unless they are brothers. Julia's birth cert says John Player occ -------asylum keeper mother Mary Ann formerly Jones. From 1871 its James occ groom , gt grans marriage certs has him as James John Player occ groom. Have now got the marriage cert they married after Julia was born, John Player occ groom/domestic servant. So at the moment think they are the same person. They are on the 1881 census but without Julia as she was marrired by then, cannot remember if I found them on the 1891 census? but 1901 James in the workhouse at Cardiff, this seems to be him born Gloucester about the same age occ horse handler?

I have this info already but cant pin him down on the 1841 and 51 census, surprising how many ways Player is spelt. Mary Ann has one place of birth as Westbury on Trym another as Westbury on Severn.

1861 census class RG9 piece 1763 folio 98 page 37

1871 census class RG10 piece 2541 folio 19 page 31

1881 census class RG11 piece 2453 folio 98 page 33

Many thanks

Julie

Julie