• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hello

Edward

Valued Member
Hi,

I am new to Family History I have only been working on our family History a few months, However I had a good start as I had a copy of a tree which was put together by my Grand Father I don't have the documents from which it was assembled and it was copied by hand and contains some errors.

My Father's family come from London my Mothers from Southampton.

Curently I have come to a standstill on the family history.

My latest search is for:

Thomas Bilbe shown as Farther to my ancestor, Frances Sarah Bilbe my Great Great Grandmother she was born about 1831 in Rotherhithe, Surrey.

In 1852 she married Robert William Robinson and they had six children that I know of.
Thomas Bilbe Robinson
Frances Ester Bilbe Robinson
Eliza Ann Bilbe Robinson
Jane Westbrook Bilbe Robinson
Edith Mary Ann Robinson
William John Robinson

In the 1881 Census they are shown as living at Nelson Dock Rotherhithe and his occupation was shown as Superintendent at Nelson Dock Yd.

I think that Nelson Dock belonged to Thomas Bilbe shipbuilders who were building tea clippers.

Many Thanks

Ed

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ed welcome to the forum. 1861 census as follows.

Civil parish Rotherhithe address Lower ------ Street

Robert Wm Robinson head age 31 occ foreman shipwright born Deptford Kent
Frances Robinson wife age 30 born Rotherhithe Surrey
Thos B son age 7 born " "
F E B Robinson dau age 4 born " "
E A B Robinson dau age 1 born " "
J W B Robinson dau age 6 months born " "
Mary A Robinson mother age 73 born Blackheath Kent
Emma A Robinson neice age 13 occ domestic servant born Greenwich Kent

Julie

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
1871 census.

civil parish Rotherhithe address Lower ----- Nelson Dock ------

Robert William Robinson age 41 born Deptford Kent occ foreman shipwright
FrancesSarah Robinson age 40 born Rotherhithe
Thomas Bilbe Robinson son age 17 born Rotherhithe occ commerical clerk
Frances -------Robinson dau age 13 born Rotherhithe
Eliza Ann B Robinson dau age 11 born Rotherhithe
Jane H------Robinson daughter age 10 born Rotherhithe
Edith Mary Ann? Robinbson dau age 9 born Rotherhithe
William John Robinson son age 9 born Rotherhithe
Susanah Clark servant age 19 born Rotherhithe
Mrs Creed sister or visitor age 54 or 64 widow born Sheerness Kent

JUlie

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
1881 census

civil parish Rotherhithe address Neslon Dock, Rotherhithe Street

Names are looking a bit clearer now.

Edith Mary Robinson dau age 18 u/m
Eliza Ann Bilbe Robinson dau age 21 u/m
Frances Esther Robinson dau age 24 u/m
Frances Sarah Robinson Wife age 50
Jane Mistbrook? Bilbe dau age 20 u/m
Robert William Robinson head age 51 occ superintendent Nelson Dockyard
William John Robinson son age 12 u/m

Julie

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
1891 census

civil parish Lewisham county of London

address Codrington Hill Codrington House

Frances E Robinbson dau age 34 single
Edith M Robinson dau age 28 single
Robert William Robinson age 61 widow occ master shipwright

Julie

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Found a possible death for Robert William Robinson est year of birth 1829 died 1895 Dec 1/4 district Lewisham, a possible death for Frances Sarah Robinson year 1888 Mar 1/4 district Greenwich, est year of birth 1831.

Julie

Edward

Valued Member
Many Thanks for the information I only had the 1881 cesus before so this adds quite a lot to my Knowledge about the family.

Jane Westbrook Bilbe Robinson is my Great Grandmother.

Thanks

Re: Hello Edward

Hello Edward

Thomas Bilbe was my Great Grandfather. This website provides history and photos of the Nelson Dock and Bilbes where the clippers were built:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_10435.pdf

Also, Sir Bilbe Robinson made a great success of his life in Australia - see any number of websites. Just search: "Bilbe Robinson Australia"

Enjoy your search

Jacqui Bilbe SJ

Edward

Valued Member
Re: Hello Edward

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for your reply and welcome to the forum.

I have read several of the obituaries which are on line for Sir Thomas Bilbe Robinson and his successful life in Australia.:)

My Ancestry back to Thomas Bilbe is:-

Thomas Bilbe = Eliza Ann Chappel

Frances Sarah Bilbe = Robert William Robinson

Jane Westbrook Bilbe Robinson = John Charles William Hoy

Dorothy Hilda Hoy (My Grandmother)

This obviously makes us related in some way!

I havn't so far been able to find Thomas Bilbe's parents
I have a record of a marriage of Thomas Bilbe and Frances Jarvis in 1800 who may be his parents but have not been able to prove this.

I have copy of photos of Hannah and Thomas Bilbe and I don't know where Hannah fits into the family.

Many Thanks

Ed.

Hello Edward

This may be of interest:

"The 'Coonatto', a composite clipper built in Nelson Dock, Rotherhithe, South London in the Thames yard of Bilbe & Perry, where The 'Orient' was also built. In 1863 she made her maiden voyage to China and Australia. Her first master was Captain Begg, then Captains Smart and Hillman. She traded from London to Adelaide for 12 years and was wrecked near Beachy Head, England, on the 21st February, 1876. See Observer, 1st January, 1921".

Click on this link for a picture of the Coonatto which was one of 6(?) clippers built by our Great Grandfather, Thomas Bilbe:

http://images.slsa.sa.gov.au/mpcimg/02000/B1780.htm

I'll write again when I have any further info.

All the best

Jacqui

ps. I'm pretty sure my mother, Gladys (nee Bilbe), visited Sir Bilbe Robinson after he retired to Kent - I think to Sandgate, near Folkestone.

Edward

Valued Member
The list of ships built by Thomas Bilbe that I have is:

Date Name Remarks
1851 Celestial Wood China clipper
1852 Ignis Fatuus Barque
1854 Wynaud Wood China clipper
1854 Gazehound yacht
1857 Red Riding Hood Comp China Clipper
1857 Gondola Comp
1858 Lauderdale Comp China Clipper
1859 Gleam Comp barque
1862 Whiteadder Comp China Clipper
1863 Coonatto Comp barque
1866 Argonaut Comp China Clipper

I don't think that this list is complete!

Ed

Jenny25

Hello Edward & Jaqui

I walk my dog in St. Peter's Churchyard, Broadstairs, Kent & pass the grave of Thomas Bilbe Robinson. I've noted the details in case you are interested:

THOMAS BILBE ROBINSON
Lt COL C.B.E. K.C.M.C. K.B.E.
OFFICER OF THE LEGION OF HONOUR.
COMMANDER OF THE ORDER OF THE CROWN OF BELGIUM.
COMMANDER OF THE ORDER OF THE CROWN OF ITALY.
AGENT GENERAL FOR QUEENSLAND, IN LONDON.
1910-1919
BORN ROTHERHITHE NOV. 24th 1853
DIED REDRIFF, NORTH FORELAND MAY 15th 1939
IN PROUD MEMORY OF A LOVING HUSBAND AND FATHER.
IF IT IS WORTH .... (the slab is broken & some words are hidden below ground)
ALSO ROSAH HANNAH HIS BELOVED WIFE
BORN FEBRUARY 1st 1882 AT BROADSTAIRS
DIED NOVEMBER 22nd 1961 AND BURIED AT FITTLEWORTH SUSSEX

I can send a photo if you are interested.
Regards
Jenny

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Jenny,

welcome to the forum yes I would love to have a photo of the stone I will send you a private message with my email address in.

Many Thanks

Ed

Hello Edward,
I have just joined this site haveing come across your request re your Bilbe ancestry and it looks as though I am related to you via another branch of the Bilbe family. My great grandfather Thomas Bilbe was the younger brother of Francis Sarah Bilbe your great great grandmother. When the younger Thomas married Ann Armold he named his first child Ann Eliza after his mother Eliza Ann. Ann Eliza (my grandmother) married my grandfather James Kirkman in 1881 in Islington. Unfortunately both parents died in the early 1900's so that my father Frank Kirkman and his siblings were left orphaned.
Terry K

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the message I had Ann Eliza Bilbe Born 1862 on my tree but I didn't have your Grandfather or when she married.

I have Ann as the oldest of a family of 8 children of Thomas and Ann but I didn't have any more information about them.

I can let you have more information on that part of my family tree.

Many Thanks

Hello Edward,
Many thanks for the info on the Orient Line shipping. I came across your branch of the Bilbe descendants when I found out about Sir Thomas Bilbe Robinson I believe Thomas Bilbe Senior's wife Eliza Ann died in 1859 in Gravesend ( I'm still trying to find definite proof of this) and he married again a Jane Westbrook Collings from Andover in 1860. He didn't waste much time. In the 1861 census they were living at Wrotham Villa, Sydenham Hill with Esther aged 18 from Thomas' first marriage. I guess this is where the Westbrook name arisies as it seems the later children of of Robert and Frances Robinson were given the maiden name of their new step mother - I hope you are following this! In following up your line of descent I also came across a John William Hoy on the Commonwealth War Graves site but I guess you are already aware of this.
Terry K

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply that sounds correct I will check what information I have I think that so far I have failed to find any reference to Thomas' second marraige except the entry in the Census which does show the children of his first wife living with him and his second wife.

Apparently John Hoy was my Grandfathers best friend at school and they joined the army at the same time! My Grandfarther also fought in the second war I beleave in charge of an anti aircraft Battery in Portsmouth.

He then married his John Hoy's sister (Dorothy) after the end of the first world war in India. Where my father was born.:)

I will look up my tree tomorrow and see what else I have recorded

All the best

Ed

Hi Edward,
Thanks for the quick response. It is interesting what you say about John William Hoy being your grandfather's best friend. The family names thrown in as Christian names seems to be a favourite practice of the Bilbe clan. In the details shown on the Commonwealthe War Graves site under additional information John William Hoy is stated as the son of John Charles and Jane Westbrook Bilbe Hoy of 14, Chalsey Rd. Brockley, London. Having said that the practice was still operating when I was born in 1937 as my mother added Collingwood (my grandmother's maiden name) to me when my birth was registered.
Terry

Edward

Valued Member
Terry,

The tradition continued to my father as well he was given Hoy as his middle name but didn't like it. So the tradition hasn't continued to me and we didn't give our children middle names at all.

One part of the Bilbe decedents became hyphenated and became Bilbe-Robinson.

I have Eliza Ann [Chappell] Bilbe death as Q1 1859 in Gravesend this must have come from the register of deaths.

I notice that I didn't have a maiden Name for Jane Westbrook Bilbe so thanks for providing that.O0

Ed