• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help find Peter Johnson

Nev

Hi could any one help find Peter Johnson.
His son Samuel was born in 1845 in Macclesfield. Samuel married Mary Spooner in 1865 also in Macclesfield.
From a search the 1841 census but cannot view its contents.
There is a Peter in Macclesfield Born Parish st Perers Prestbury around 1816? and one in the parish of Astbury St marys.
Many thanks Nev

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Nev,

A possibilty for 1841

Civil parish Prestbury
Reg district Macclesfield

Peter Johnson age 30 occ silk weaver
Sarah Johnson age 35 silk weaver

Both born in county

See the Wilson name has cropped up again. Listed underneath on the census image but living in seperate household are:-

Ann Wilson age 15 occ silk weaver
Joseph Wilson age 10
Thomas Johnson age 4
Martha Johnson age 1

All born in county

To indicate seperate households there are 2 black lines, but Ann has been transcribed as living with Joseph etc even though the 2 blacks lines are under her name, hope this makes sense.

ajsr71

Hi Nev,

A possibilty for 1841

Civil parish Prestbury
Reg district Macclesfield

Peter Johnson age 30 occ silk weaver
Sarah Johnson age 35 silk weaver

Both born in county

See the Wilson name has cropped up again. Listed underneath on the census image but living in seperate household are:-

Ann Wilson age 15 occ silk weaver
Joseph Wilson age 10
Thomas Johnson age 4
Martha Johnson age 1

All born in county

To indicate seperate households there are 2 black lines, but Ann has been transcribed as living with Joseph etc even though the 2 blacks lines are under her name, hope this makes sense.

What part of Macclesfield did they live in?

Nev

Many thanks for you reply juliejtp,ajsr71
Samuel Johnson son of Peter was living in 11 Pleasant st Hurdsfield Macclesfield in 1881.
I did come across a Marriage cert for Peter and Sarah but no age was given and the where widow anf widower in 1838. All relitives so far have work in the silk mills.
Hope this helps

Nev,
I would be very interested to hear if you have any success with this. My great-great grandparents were Samuel Johnson and Mary Spooner. I just happened to google their names and came upon your query.

ajsr71

Nev,
I would be very interested to hear if you have any success with this. My great-great grandparents were Samuel Johnson and Mary Spooner. I just happened to google their names and came upon your query.

Hi

This is Alan , Nevs Brother. Due to other things the Family Tree as been on the back burner for a while. Would be interested to see what you have and if we are related.

Email address has been edited for security reasons.

Alan after you post 3 times you will be able to contact the person via PM [personal message] and pass your email on to them that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I looked up 1851 to see if Samuel's parents were listed -

1851 England Census

Name: Samuel Johnson
Estimated birth year: abt 1846
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Peter
Mother's Name: Sarah
Where born: Macclesfield, Cheshire, England

Civil parish: Macclesfield
Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael
Town: Macclesfield
County/Island: Cheshire

Street Address: Pickford St

Registration district: Macclesfield
Sub-registration district: Rainow
ED, institution, or vessel: 4d
Household schedule number: 63

Household Members: Name Age
Peter Johnson 38 Silk Weaver
Sarah Johnson 46
Thomas Johnson 13 Silk weaver
Maria Johnson 11
Elizabeth Johnson 8
John Johnson 6
Samuel Johnson 5
Jacob Wilson 22 Married, Silk Weaver
Mary Wilson 23 Married

All born Macclesfield

The Wilson's are still there. Sarah is a fair bit older than Peter, so I looked for their marriage

Peter Johnson to Sarah Wilson Jun 1838 Macclesfield ref 19/96

dave

ajsr71

Hi

This is Alan , Nevs Brother. Due to other things the Family Tree as been on the back burner for a while. Would be interested to see what you have and if we are related.

Alan after you post 3 times you will be able to contact the person via PM [personal message] and pass your email on to them that way.

Thanks for that ALAN

Hi

Hi Alan
I received an email from Nev this morning. I am anxious to see what you have and am pretty sure that we are related based on what you are looking for and what I have been looking for. The only difference that I have seen is that my theory was that Samuel Johnson was the son of Robert Johnson and Elizabeth...but that was theory. I had just been getting ready to send off for a copy of Samuel and Mary's marriage license to try to confirm it when I came across Nev's search for Peter and Sarah.

I have emailed Nev and am going to send a photo that I have of George Johnson and another that could possibly be his family. How I wish that names were written on the back of all the photos!

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Teresa