• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help finding info

From
England
Hi everyone.

A quick ish question,

Would my Great Grandfather be listed on the BMD (deaths) with his town of Dewsbury IF he died in WW1? I'm trying to find any info at all on him and dont have service number, Corps, Service, when or where he died or anything.

I've found a Walter Sykes(born 1877 in Ravensthorpe,West Yorks) on BMD deaths in last qtr of 1916 with a vol and page number would that have any of his service details on and where he died?

I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to progress from this :(

Andy

Hello Andy,

If he died on active service it's unlikely his death will appear in the BMD. Possibly one of these. They can be found here:

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp

SYKES , W Lance Corporal 15736 12/10/1916 Unknown Northumberland Fusiliers United Kingdom III. F. 30. DERNANCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

SYKES , WALTER Private 15874 05/05/1915 23 East Yorkshire Regiment United Kingdom Panel 21 and 31. YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

SYKES , WALTER Private 241919 03/05/1917 Unknown Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) United Kingdom Bay 6. ARRAS MEMORIAL

SYKES , W Lance Corporal PO/1440(S) 10/07/1917 Unknown Royal Marine Light Infantry United Kingdom VI. B. 50. ORCHARD DUMP CEMETERY, ARLEUX-EN-GOHELLE

SYKES , W Private 14/1232 09/07/1916 Unknown York and Lancaster Regiment United Kingdom Screen Wall. B10. 4 346C. BIRMINGHAM (LODGE HILL) CEMETERY

SYKES , WALTER Private 33737 22/07/1917 27 The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment United Kingdom II. A. 13. LOCRE HOSPICE CEMETERY

There are a few UK-based members who will be able to help you further.

Regards,

Dave

Hello Andy,

If he died on active service it's unlikely his death will appear in the BMD. Possibly one of these. They can be found here:

SYKES , WALTER Private 241919 03/05/1917 Unknown Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) United Kingdom Bay 6. ARRAS MEMORIAL

Regards,

Dave

Hi Andy, this is the same man who I've listed on your other post re his marriage

If he died of wounds, he may have returned to the UK and died in Hospital here, or even at home. That would explain a death record on BMD if it is him. If the above record is him, he would not be on BMD

dave

Last edited:
Thank you for the help

I think I'll have to put on a fresh pair of eyes and see if I can add the pieces together and see if it comes out right.

Again thank you

Andy

Hello Andy,

If he died on active service it's unlikely his death will appear in the BMD.

Dave

hi
Do you not think this and the above is your grandfather

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919 - soldier details

Name: Walter SYKES Memorial Scroll

Regiment, Corps etc.: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)
Battalion etc.: 2/5th Battalion.
Formed at Huddersfield Oct. 1914. Subsequent record same as 2/4th Bn. until Jan. 1918. 30.1.18 absorbed by 1/5th Bn.

Last name: Sykes
First name(s): Walter
Initials: W
Birthplace: Upper Hopton, Yorks
Enlisted: Dewsbury
Residence: Upper Hopton

Number: 241919
Date died: 3 May 1917
How died: Killed in action
Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Upper Hopton is a stones throw from Ravensthorpe

dave

Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply. I do think it's him and I can't believe that a lot of info has come through so quickly.
I only started doing the family tree about 4 weeks ago and none of my parents had any info beyond their own parents, other than a "I think he died in one of the wars" :eek:

I've now managed to get alot of info and some of the info is sad, quite amazing(again another handed down rumour), and surprised how little the family line hasn't moved from the local area. Except for one relative that was born locally in 1825 and died in Belarus(TBC)

I think the next step with Walter would be to get in touch with the Army records and see if it's him with Next of Kin details, address, etc. Then that will be a massive achievement not just for me but the whole family, as there is a Walter Sykes on the memorial in Hopton village.

I can't thank people like yourselves enough on this forum who say which sites to visit, how to search, even doing the searches themselves, etc. I dont think I could have got so much info without the pointers and help.

So I need to try and put it all down on paper. With all the details per family per page, and see what gaps are missing and where I need to look forward from there. I hope that sounds right!

Anyway I'll have to go as a German Sheppard is whinning for a walk.

Cheers again Andy

Back