• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help I can't confirm William Barrow 1778

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have had an interesting exchange of family details and my cousin has found a missing relative William Barrow. I knew he existed as I was told by family that he was a sailor on HMS Victory and found him in the national archives. My cousin meanwhile following another route happened on a William Barrow born Lewisham 1778. He matches the sailor on the Victory. Problem is they have quoted no sources and I can't find any baptismal records for Lewisham on IGI. William Barrow has a daughter Harriet who was born 1811 Oving Sussex and who married John Hill 1816 Petworth Sussex ( I have no exact date for them either but guessing about 1834) Anyone got access to Naval marriages baptisms etc? or Lewisham baptismal records? or any ideas how to establish other members of the Barrow family? My cousin's on holiday and I can't ask him where he got the info. I know he didn't pluck it out of the air and I know he didn't realise the naval connection till I told him.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi duckweed,

I pass Lewisham Local History Archives everyday. Maybe sometime next week and I will pop in and see if I can find anything.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Duckweed

Do you know when William Barrow died?

It might be a good idea to check any other Barrow's born about the same time as William to see if they are relatives.

Ben

duckweed

Loyal Member
I don't have a death date. There is a William Barrow in Limehouses in 1837 a mariner and who did not show up in the 1841 census. But I don't have enough detail to make direct links. Hopefully my brother will look up the naval records in the National Archives which will help fill in some detail. I don't have a marriage either. I think it may be in the Naval chaplains records as I think he was still in the Navy at that time.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi duckweed,

Couldnt see a William Barrow 1778 on the St Mary baptism register, found a Thomas Edward son of Thomas Jeremiah and Mary Ann Barrow, baptised 24th March 1779. Will go back and look at a wider time frame.

Last edited:

duckweed

Loyal Member
Well they were never very accurate about birthdates in those days. I suppose there's always the problem too that he might not have been baptised or was a dissenter or Catholic, or that his place of birth was not where he said it was. I've got a relative claiming to be Scottish because his father died the month before he was born and his mother was Scottish. Somehow he assumed both his parents were. Babies are often born at grandparents home or baptised at their church so we may not find any confirmation of his birth. Obviously I'm going to have to find marriage details and see if his service record has more clues.