• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

help i'm lost

hello i,m stuck on john davage,daveg,davidge,davige,yes its been spelt all those ways ,said to be born 1763 ringley lancs ,has shown up on all sorts of sites inc (familysearch) ,married diana hattersley 1788 ecclesfield yorks ,2 children born ringley lancs ,then settled in sheffield,but cannot find parents,got to headbanging stage ,kindly help ,my wife does not like blood on the carpet,many thanks chris davage.:) :) :) :) :) :)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Re: help i,m lost

Hi Chris

Where have you found that John was born in Ringley. He may have been born or baptised in a neighbouring village and moved to Ringley later on. This may help you find him by trying neighbouring parishes.

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Re: help i,m lost

Hi

I just found on the IGI a submitted record which says that John Davage who wed Dianah Hatersley in 1788 was from Bolton, born c1763 in Bolton. This could mean that he was of Bolton when he wed her but it is always best to check the original record if possible to confirm this.

Ben

hi benny1982,thanks for that ,problem is we can,t find him anywhere ,the submitted IGI has got to be wrong ,we,ve tried bolton ,ringley,denton ,we are convinced that we have to get his m/c ,as he got married in ecclesfield yorks ,many thanks chris davage.:confused: :confused: :confused:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Chris

Luckily Davage isnt such a common name but I do suppose there are spelling variants such as Davege, Davige.

How about searching marriages in Ecclesfield for the same surname. They may be relations.

Do you know when he died at all?

Ben

hi benny 1982 ,yes we info have from marriage 1788 ,through to myself and family but its a dead end at 1788 records do not show at ringley ,they had their first 2 children ,William 1790,john 1792 as being born at ringley and 2 more born in ecclesfield ,i think i am going to have to contact register office direct and see if they show up at bolton le moors ?you see in several submits on different sites show bolton ,bolton le moors,ringley ,i found a mary davidge born at edge hill lancs i am hoping its maybe his sister ?but i don,t know where that is ,as i live down in Hampshire ,all the best to you Chris Davage .ps it changed to DAVAGE in the 1840s.:confused: :confused: :confused:

hi benny1982,thanks for that ,problem is we can,t find him anywhere ,the submitted IGI has got to be wrong ,we,ve tried bolton ,ringley,denton ,we are convinced that we have to get his m/c ,as he got married in ecclesfield yorks ,many thanks chris davage.:confused: :confused: :confused:

not wanting to poo poo anything here.. but you wont find a marriage certificate for a marriage in 1788, however, you will find a marriage entry within the Parish registers.

have you had a look at Hugh Wallis' site at all? you might find a marriage or bapt on there...

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...hNumbers/CountyLancashire_(P-Z).htm#PageTitle

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Sometimes I have looked through the batch numbers at every surname in a parish and found new siblings of ancestors and baptisms under spelling variants or mistranscriptions. Ie Helsdon was found as Helldon.

Ben