• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help! Looking for a Jefferiss

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
I have been doing a lot of work on this line and have traced back to the birth of ROBERT REUBEN JEFFERISS born 1801. According to his 2nd marriage certificate his parents were Robert Jefferys/Jefferiss and Mary Ann Watts . He was born in ENGLAND !! His parents were also in England. He had 2 brothers Hector b.7/4/1803 Frederick b.1806 and Mary Ann Jefferiss b.11/7/1811.
There is further information that I have but I do not think that it is right,unless someone else can prove it !!
Where on earth do I start looking?
I have all the information on Robert Reuben Jefferiss that I could possibly want other than where he was born.
Can anyone point me in the right direction. please

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Nainmaddie

How did you find out the birth info for his brother and sister and his parents?

Have you tried looking for him through any censuses?

When did he marry and to whom?

Ben

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Dear Benny
Many thanks for your post.
I have found Robert living in the Garden House Dalkeith, Scotland with his son Walter in 1851. His wife died in childbirth in 1848. I have not found Walter's birth certificate yet but I have enough family papers to support this.He also left a letter dated 1824 to be opened on his death giving a list of births and deaths of his 2 brothers and sister. He was a surgeon/doctor and lived in Dalkeith until his death in 1875.
He married first Catherine Blackie of Pivishil Scotland on 16 Feb.1846 who died in childbirth.
He later married Robina Spence and on his marriage cert he says his parents are Robert Jefferiss/Jefferys and Mary Ann Watts . He being a Builder by trade in ENGLAND
I hope this clears up some fog. I have done a alot of work on this line to prove it correct as an uncle of my late husband has added his supposed parents which do not agree with Robert, but I suppose he went with the IGI and I think he got it wrong
nainmaddie

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi nainmaddie

I have found Robert in the 1851 and 1871 census for Scotland in Dalkeith and he says that he was born in England.

The names of his parents is a good start in looking for a possible baptism. He was probably baptised in a parish that is not yet on the IGI.

I have tried looking for Hector, Frederick and Mary but cannot yet find any likely entries.

Ben

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi nainmaddie

Do you know anything on Robert's siblings. Did they remain in England or did they also head to Scotland. Could not find them in census, remembering there are lots of surname spelling variants.

Thought these articles would be of interest to you.

The 19th Century British Library newspapers collection

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries
Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland), Thursday, January 6, 1848; Issue 19743.
Death
At Dalkeith, on the 3d current, CATHERINE BLACKIE, wife of Dr Jefferiss. Friends at a distance will please accept of this intimation.

SECOND EDITION OF THURSDAY
Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland), Friday, June 4, 1858; Issue 21432.
Birth
At Garden House, Dalkeith, on the 3d inst., the wife of Dr Jefferiss, of a son.

The Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland), Thursday, May 9, 1861; Issue 22345.
Birth
JEFFERISS – At Garden House, Dalkeith, on the 7th inst., the wife of Dr Jefferiss, of a son.

The Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland), Thursday, June 11, 1863; Issue 23067.
BIRTH
JEFFERISS – At Garden House, Dalkeith, on the 9th inst., the wife of Dr Jefferiss, of a son.

Glasgow Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), Saturday, December 24, 1864; Issue 7789.
Birth
At Garden House, Dalkeith, on the 22nd inst., the wife of Dr. Jefferies; a son.

cheers
crankypants

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi nainmaddie

I.G.I
Walter Robert Spence JEFFERESS
02 NOV 1846 Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
Parents
Robert Reubens JEFFERESS
Catherine BLACKIE

(Interesting how he has the SPENCE middle name as Robert's 2nd wife was a Spence).

Google Books
OBITUARY
JEFFERISS, Robt. Rubens, M.R.C.S. Eng., of Dalkeith, Edinburgh, on Aug. 8, aged 74.

Also check google books Walter R.S. JEFFERISS

1841 census under Robt JEFFERIES
1861 census under Robert JEFFRESS + Robina & 2 children + (Jane SPENCE) living with family.

cheers
crankypants

ps "TIMES DIGITAL ARCHIVES 1785-1985" has a few of your JEFFERRIS, articles between 1908-1930 referring to births & marriages.

Last edited:

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Thank you Ben and Crankypants for your information and help. The newspaper links are interesting and I had not even tried them although I know most of that information.
I am still looking for his son by Catherine Blackie . I have a feeling that Robert forgot to register his birth until later having just lost his wife. The interesting point is that he has Spence in his names, so I suspect it was added afterwards. From family papers he did not like his Stepmother and he was quite right. After Robert died his will disappeared in which Walter was left a substanial amount. He never got it !! A few years later it was found torn in the midden. Heigh ho somethings never change !!
Regarding Robert's brothers and sister,I think I am right in saying that only Hector survived but I have still to prove that.

Of his sons by Robina, Henry and Frederick survived.
Thank you for trying to help. I may have to search all parishes in England one at a time. Nearly forgot to say I know that and Henry and Frederick lived near Robert in Scotland.
nainmaddie

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Lee
I had noticed that he had been a Master of the Lodge twice even if the first name was spelt wrongly.
I have just spoken to Mr Young . All he could tell me was that Robert was a Reformer and also belonged to another Lodge before Dalkeith. No birthplace!!!

Thank you for your help in trying to find more about him

Maddie