• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Help me find George Lewis

please help me sort out George Lewis
My gr gr grandad is George Lewis.
I cannot find his birth or death.

I know(from his marriage cert) he married Emma Harris 24 Apr 1859 at St Mary's Parish Southampton, both him and his father William were mariners. George was 24 yrs old and he was resident and Chaple Rd.

I cannot find him on the 1841 or 1851 census. So cannot find any place of birth or family.
On the 1861 census, I have found Emma Lewis with her son William and is described as married and as a seamans wife born in Eling Hampshire
Ref number RG09 672 97 12.

Where is George? Is he at sea? How do I go about looking? Do you think he is a fisherman or a navy sailor?

On the 1871 census Emma has moved to South Stonham with her 6 children (so George must have been around at some point) and calls herself a widow.
Ref RG10 1200 7 31 5. but I have looked high and low but cannot find a death cert.

I have tried looking for baptism records but George Lewis is such a common name and I'm not sure if the family was always in Ely.

I can trace Emma right up to her death in 1901.

George and Emma's daughter - Pheobe Harriet's married cert in 1888 desribes George as deseased, profession a seaman.

Please help me find George.