• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help my idea for 60th Birthday present failing due to a missing Illingworth 1816!

Jubbly

Good morning everybody. I am hoping that perhaps somebody would be able to help or steer me in the right direction.
I am researching my friends family tree for his 60th Birthday present. It has been going ok (I can't do my own I was adopted and nobody in the tree knew about me or wanted to know about me), sorry back to the subject in hand.
I have gone back on his father's side Illingworth and found great uncles, aunts, cousins you name it,,, apart from William Illingworth 1816. Who is the great, great grandfather of my friend.
I have his death certificate 10/11/1873 and the age on the cert would mean 1816.
Some time ago I thought I had found an entry as follows:
William Illingworth and Nancy Fearnley married 1897 and had William 1816. But when I found this I can remember thinking Oh that's the wrong date but they had baptised him some time ( a few years) after his birth.
Well can I find this again = I can not. I am beginning to think I imagined it but I had updated my tree to the above and I don't do that until I am sure.
It would also appear that though there is a marriage bann for Nanny Fearnley & Wm Illingworth, I can't find a birth for her, I am beginning to wonder if Nanny and Nancy might be getting muddled.
Can anybody think of anything else I can try?
I am beyond pulling my hair out and so I thought I would see if any of your members would have any suggestions.
Thanks for reading and looking forward to receiving any replies.
Kind regards
Stephanie

emeltee

Loyal Member
Do you have any idea where William was born, what part of the country?

By the way do remember that the information regarding age on a death certificate is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving it. Don't take the age given as being 100% correct. It can quite often be a few years out.

Emeltee

emeltee

Loyal Member
The familysearch site has the marriage of William Illingworth and Nanny Fearnley 13th November 1797 in Bradford and the baptism in Bradford 17th August 1817 of a William Illingworth, parents William and Nancy. William's occupation is a Clothier.

Nanny/Nancy are two versions of the same name.

Emeltee

Jubbly

Emeltee

Thank you so much for you reply, it is much appreciated I had ummed and ahhed over the William and Nancy being the parents of William in 1817, it was the fact that it said Pudsey in Yorkshire which was not an area that had been mentioned with this family previously. I had seen before that William 1816 had been born in Warley and in Bingley but never Pudsey and I am not to familiar with that area and wasn't sure if they were all in the same area in which case it would be the right one.

Thank you to thomascristeena to.

Apologies to both of you as I didn't realise either of you had replied as for some reason it had put your replies in my Junk Box.

Again thanks to all

Jubbly

Thanks Jubbly.
After reading the post I meant that if there are difficulty in finding the surnames then referring to the sites like babynology.com or behindthename.com might be useful sometimes.