• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help needed - Donnaghue/Small family

Hi

I have just found that my 2x Gt Grandmothers family come from Fermanagh and was hoping that some one may be able to help locating the rest of the family.

My 2x Gt Grandmothers name was Mary Jane Small, born about 1850, she left Ireland between 1858-1861 with her mother and other siblings and move to Scotland. I have found them listed in the 1861 Scotland Census (under surname Smull), her father is not with them. Names listed below:

1861 Scotland Census:

Mary Small - age 40 - Head - Ireland
James Small- age 20 - Son - Ireland
Mary Jane Small - age 17 - Daughter - Ireland
William Small - age 9 - Son - Ireland
Ann Small - age 7 - Daughter - Ireland
Catherine Small - age 5 - Daughter - Ireland

Her mother Mary Small remarried in Scotland in 1864 to a Bright Miller, she is listed as a widow and her parents are Patrick Donnaghue (Deceased) and Ann Kelly.

I then found her mother with her new husband on the 1871 Scotland Census, this is were I found they were from Fermanagh.

Mary Jane Small married Hugh Gamble in 1868 and on this marriage record her father is listed as being Fleming Small, however on the death record of her younger sister Ann who died in 1865 the father is listed as being James Small.

I am registered with Rootsireland but so far have been unable to find a birth record for Mary Jane Small or any of her siblings or a marriage record for her parents Mary Donnaghue and James (fleming) Small, I have also looked for a birth record for Mary Donnaghue with no luck.

If any one is able to give me some help/advice on where I can look now I would be very grateful

Marie

romany rose

Valued Member
Hi Marie
I have looked on Findmypast.ie for you and have found the following refrences to Fleming Small
marriage of Fleming Small in 1855 at Cavan Ireland
marriage of Fleming Small in 1857 at Granard,Cavan,Ireland
death of Fleming Small born 1809 death in 1877 at Granard ,Cavan,Ireland

--these are the only refrences made to the name of Fleming Small:)
take care
Romany Rosex

Expanding on info found by Romany Rose

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958

Name: Fleming Small

Date of Registration: 1855

Registration district: Cavan

Volume: 3
Page Number: 578

FHL Film Number: 101245

Records on Page:

Fleming Small
Mary Richmond Donohue
Mary Donohue Richmond

--------------------------------

Fleming Small

Date of Registration: 1857

Registration district: Granard

Volume: 6

Page Number: 172

FHL Film Number: 101246

Records on Page:

Bernard McKenna
Fleming Small
Jane Denniston
Mary Eccleston
Robert McDowell
Harrietta Kirk

Last edited:
Fleming Small
Spouse Mary Eccleston1829 – 1906
♀Sarah Small 1858 – 1929
♂John Small 1859 –
♂William Small 1862 –
♀Mary Anne Small 1865 – 1918
♂George Fleming Small 1867 – 1943
♀Catherine Small 1870 – 1914
♂Samuel Small 1873 – 1924
♂Thomas Small 1876 – 1881

-------------------------------

Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958

Estimated birth year: abt 1809

Date of Registration: 1877
Death Age: 68

Registration district: Granard

Volume: 3
Page: 162
FHL Film Number: 101588

Last edited:
interest only, note date 1945

Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1945

Registration district: Cork

Volume: 5
Page Number: 65
FHL Film Number: 101579

Records on Page:

Fleming Small
Margaret Elizabeth Crawford

Last edited:
Fleming Small
Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898

birth: 1811
marriage: 20 July 1855 Tomregan, Cavan, Ire

father: Joseph Small
spouse: Mary Richmond
other: Patk. Donohue

Name Fleming Small
Birth Date 1811
Birthplace
Age 44
Spouse's Name Mary Richmond
Spouse's Birth Date 1819
Spouse's Birthplace
Spouse's Age 36
Event Date 20 Jul 1855
Event Place Tomregan, Cavan, Ire
Father's Name Joseph Small
Mother's Name
Spouse's Father's Name Patk. Donohue

I thought at first that the 1857 marriage was the same Fleming as the 1855 one, but the father on this record, says otherwise

Fleming Small
Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898

marriage: 8 June 1857 Clonbroney, Long, Ireland

father: John Small
spouse: Mary Eccleston
Spouse's Father's Name John Eccleston

Hi Romany Rose and Davelambert271

Thank you so much for looking and getting all this information for me, I had found the marriage for Flemming Small in 1855 but had originally left it as the marriage date was after the birth of Mary Jane (1850) and the mothers name was listed as Mary Richmond Donohue, her fathers name was not listed in the record I found, however the details you have found Davelambert with fathers name lead me to think that Mary Jane was born prior to her parents marriage as her year of birth stays the same throughout all census records and her marriage and death records.

The only thing is that for Mary Donohue on all census records and the record for her 2nd marriage in Scotland I have estimated her year of birth to be about 1823, would this be common for her to knock 4 years of her real birth year and keep this going right up to 1871? (last census record I have found for her).

I am going to look further into the marriage for 1855 as this does seem to be the most likely. I have noticed that I made a mistake in Mary Jane's age for the 1861 census in my original post she was 11years not 17.

Again thank you both so much.

Marie

hi Marie

I'm still a bit confused about Mary Jane's parents. James, Mary, William and possibly Ann were born before Fleming married Mary in 1855.
Mary Richmond Donoghue, - had she been married before, ie Mary Donoghue married to a Mr Richmond or was Richmond just a 2nd name after a previous relative.
Mary Jane born 1850 gave her father as Flemming when she married in 1868, but Ann's father was given as James on her birth cert in 1864

Perhaps Flemming was away between James's birth in 1841 and Mary Jane's in 1850 then for some reason didn't marry until 5 years later. Also was his name James Fleming Small, as the first child was named James

dave

Dave

I am just as confused, It is very possible that Mary Donohue married prior to her marriage to Flemming Small, I hadn't thought of that, but would the children of that possible first marriage take on the surname of the new husband?

James was born about 1841, Mary Jane about 1850, William about 1852 and Ann about 1854, all prior to her marriage to Flemming, I have had a look to see if I can find any army service record that might explain him not being around, no luck so far.

On Mary Jane's marriage record in 1868 and her death record in 1925 her parents are named as Mary Donohue (subsequently Miller) and Flemming Small, however on Ann's death record in 1865 her father is noted as being James Small, It is possible that the fathers name was James Flemming and he was just called Flemming by the family and would fit in with the eldest son being named James.

I will have a look to see if there may be a marriage record for a Dohohue and Richmond around the time of James birth but I don’t seem to have much luck with Irish records so far.

Thank you for your help and if you think of any thing else let me know, does help as is helping me to look at other possibilities.

Marie