• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help needed to decipher

gibbo

Loyal Member
I need some help with this please.

The first column is titled "calling" and im unable to read his occupation.
Also the next column is titled "Native place and country" I can make out Wiltshire but not the word before it. Can someone help please?

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thank you Lee. Got that from a passenger list thinking i had it made and then couldnt read the jolly thing:rolleyes:

Maybe might be able to pick him up on a census and see what his place of birth is on that. Off to the census forum now i am :biggrin:

leefer

Loyal Member
Gibbo.....i reckon the occupation is an Excavator..the third letter looks like a d but that is coming down from the word above and it is a c...could be a posh word for a labouring digging trenches etc...not sure on your dates but an excavator today would use a JCB or big digger to move land.

Or a slight chance an excavator could be someone digging up old relics etc...similar to an archeoligist.

Last edited:

leefer

Loyal Member
And his surname was Axford :biggrin: Did you get that? AXford as in axe you chop with:rolleyes: :biggrin:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:....i get it,there is a place called Axe and another called Axeminster.....all named after the River Axe in Devon.

Maybe they called the River the Axe because it is prone to getting choppy:eek:

Edit....oh and i reckon its Tytherington not Witherington.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Wetherington
English: habitational name from a place in Wiltshire called Witherington, from Old English wīðign ‘willow copse’ (which is not recorded independently) + tūn ‘settlement’, although the spellings with -r- only appear in the 17th century.

Excavator ;) Does not say JCB operator :2fun: