• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help please with occupation

joejoerey1

I am having trouble reading the occupation for Mary Sawyer in the 1861 census.
I know her husband was a police officer but he doesn't appear on the census of 1861 but his wife does possibly he passed away but not sure about this.

I think it says policeman's wife but cant be certain any suggestions please?

joejoerey1

Hi well thanks that confirms what i was thinking too i did find Marys husband (Richard Sawyer) but he is living in Battersea as a lodger in a pub and now has a new occupation of shoe maker it appears he retired from the police around 1855.

I wonder why he is living away from Mary and if they have split why is she stating that she is a policeman's wife? would she be claiming some sort of pension?

I have located Richards police retirement papers and i am waiting for copies to be emailed to me from the records office.Cant wait to see why he had to retire from the police.